PCV / Vacuum hose / EGR? help 88 Bronco XLT 5.8 351w

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThouBeezy

Reaction score
Alright, fixed other issues with the 88 bronco 5.8 351w and found these next possible issues... :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The PCV valve installed on my Bronco, has 2 vacuum attachments, but only the bottom (larger)one has a hose attached.

The top one is just sucking air, and if i plug it, the truck either drops idle terribly or just shuts off. So,

I was looking around for a loose vacuum hose laying around with no luck. Can you help me with a diagram of where

this missing hose might be or need to goto.

Also...

I took the bronco by a nearby mechanic and he noticed the EGR was not functioning. The vacuum hose coming from it

had no suction and he said it should. He also said, If the EGR has a grey top and the connection to the EGR from the engine is black, it is the

wrong part (and this is what mine looks like)??? So pretty much i should have a EGR with a black top??? Didnt make sense to me.

Please help if you can.

Thanks!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo TB!

Look at what Malcolm did;

img_0724.jpg

"...That's a genuine Ford PCV valve. It's stock two port top(in top of pic) makes it difficult to fit under the upper intake on an EFI 5.0 engine. Buy an aftermarket single port(lower in pic) and use the top on the Ford PCV...

Next is about just da Vac supply hose; Not the PCV valve

Vacuum Supply Hose Rerouting in 87-93 5.0 Bronco, F Series & vans; Failure of the #8 piston or the #8 rod or rod bearing; "...Failure of the #8 piston or the #8 rod or rod bearing in Ford 5.0L, V-8 gas engines. Solution: During engine installation, reroute the PCV valve vacuum supply hose. Follow these steps: Plug the 3/8" (pipe) thread hole in the rear of the plenum where the PCV valve hose is connected. Drill and tap a 3/8" pipe thread hole in the center of the plenum and thread the PCV connector into it. Reconnect the PCV valve vacuum supply hose to the new location. Be sure the drain hole in the baffle is open. The baffle is under the PCV location in the valve cover. Installers who have rerouted the PCV system and opened the baffle drain hole have not reported any #8 cylinder failures..."

Source: by fourstarengines.com via web.archive.org

Same info but, read my Note;

Vacuum Supply Hose Rerouting in 85-97 Bronco, F Series & vans; Failure of the #8 piston or the #8 rod or rod bearing with 5.0L and 5.8L engines. Failure of the rear piston, rod, or rod bearing (cylinders 5 & 8). After discussing the situation with several installers, the problem has been narrowed down to the PCV system. This picks up crankcase gasses from above the #8 cylinder and dumps into the back of the intake. Miesk5 NOTE; I Don't know where Ryan got the year range and #5 cylinder info from.. most likely is a typo....read more...

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at fordfuelinjection.com

Vacuum Supply Hose Rerouting Video in an 86 5.0

Source: by JKossarides ("The Bronco", Jean) at SuperMotors.net

Jean does nice work!

Oil Baffle pic in a 5.0

Source: by miesk5 at SuperMotors.net

The diameter of the lines and the intake manifold entry fitting will be increased to 0.625" so that inadvertent

disconnection of the lines after a vehicle is serviced will cause either an immediate engine stall or will not allow

the engine to be restarted. In the event that the vehicle does not stall if the line between the intake manifold and

PCV valve is inadvertently disconnected, the vehicle will have a large vacuum leak that will cause the vehicle to

run lean at idle. by Ford

-------------------

Colors of the EGR & EVP; forget that for now; the mechanic should know what is the proper part and not start the color thAng. And he coulda done a simple test such as checking da vac hose, then tested the EVP; then the EVR..and so on, etc.

---- did you do a Self Test for Codes? if so, post the codes here;

If not, here is a Self Test by my friend, BroncoJoe19

Run it around til it heats up; run thru the gears incl reverse; then shut off all accessories, light heater/ac & fan..

do the KOEO = Key On Engine Off portion first

& Remember to have engine @ Normal Operating Temperature before doing the KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING (KOER) portion

Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) Decal;

On-Line for Free at Ford.

Click "Quick Guides" in left panel;

Scroll to & CLICK VECI Labels

"Provides Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) and a related calibration parts list."

Enter applicable info (need to know your Calibration number from your B-pillar sticker).

Vacuum Diagram is the same as the one on the core support or hood or air filter cover. by Ford motorcraftservice.com

...Check part number for the EGR Valve; I checked it for the first for CALIBRATION: 8-64E-R00 and the EGR Valve Ford pn is E7TZ 9G428-A (these pn's change due to eng designs..etc.; so see below)

From da Ford Motorcraft Catalog on line; here is the EGR Valve pic, etc.

in case this site won't allow this pic to load; see it @ http://www.fordparts.com/PartImage.ashx?filename=E8PZ9H473B-FRO&dw=150&dh=150&type=JPG

EGR Valve Manufactured By: Motorcraft Part Description: E8TE-9F483-B2A,B4A Part Number: 9H473 (CX-1302-A)

another pic @ http://northernpartsupply.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=214

These fit many Fords & Broncos

a pic

EGR Valve Position (EVP) pic in an 88 5.8 - it is grey

Source: by Travis L at SuperMotors.net

egr-connector.jpg

http://rjminjectiontech.com/images/egr01.jpg

Pic by Ryan M

black EVR is above the rusty EGR (with light gray EGR Valve Position (EVP) attached)

EGR Valve & EVR Overview & Test

The EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) controls the opening and closing of the EGR valve. The EVR is an electromagnetic solenoid and should have between 20-70 ohms resistance between the pins. +12volts should be constant on one side from the EEC Relay, the computer controls the ground signal when EGR flow is needed.

When the EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) is off, both ports vent slowly to atsmophere.

To test it mechanically check to see if vacuum is present at the EGR valve with the electrical connector unplugged from the EVR. The top port should not have vacuum! Because that would open the EGR at the wrong times.

With everything connected and the engine running ground out the pin 33 side. The EGR vavle should open and the engine RPM should change.

Ford EGR valves will open 50% at 4 inHg of vacuum, and 100% at 8 inHg of vacuum

by Ryan M

Testing; "...There shouldn't be any vacuum at the EGR valve at idle or any time your ass is under the hood fiddling with it, to put it plainly, except for perhaps a very light residual vacuum from the EVR. Check ALL of your vacuum lines FIRST, and the vacuum reservoir for leaks..."

Source: by SigEpBlue

---------------------

next is da;

EGR Valve Position (EVP) bolted to the top of the EGR valve

The EGR Valve Position (EVP) sensor monitors the position of the EGR valve pintle. The EVP sensor converts the mechanical movement of the pintle into an electrical voltage signal which is relayed to the PCM. The EVP sensor is a linear potentiometer in which resistance varies with the EGR valve pintle movement.Voltage is fed to the EVP by the signal return circuit. As the EGR is opened the EVP directs more voltage to the EEC and less down the voltage reference circuit. The EVP sensor provides the PCM with information on EGR flow and EGR system failures. The EVP should read between 0.24 and 0.67volts at idle with a closed EGR valve. read moreby Ryan M (Fireguy50) at fordfuelinjection.com

----------

EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) Ford pn is E8TZ 9J459-A for CALIBRATION: 8-64E-R00

Depiction & Internal Parts Source: by rockledge.home.comcast.net

Location pic in mid 80s; the "right side" (passenger) near the AC/Ventilation Systems Vacuum Tank (black plastic ball type)

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

Testing & Diagram; "...EVR Testing: vacuum should vent from the green line on a good valve NOT energized. When energized, vacuum should hold from the black to the green. Resistance across the terminals should be 20-70 ohms..."

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ThouBeezy

ThouBeezy

Reaction score
Thanks, so...as far as the PCV Valve, can you explain where exactly the TOP "******" that is just sucking air (including dirt and whatever else kicks up under the hood)? should it be connected to something or what vacuum hose should be connected there and where would the other end of the hose go to on a 5.8? Its very loud as well. You can hear the vacuum sucking through that small top ****** piece of the PCV a block away lol...not even joking...its the loudest part on the truck other than the dual pacs! Please reinterate on the top ******. I dont want to reroute if i dont need to, i just want to stop dirt and whatever from sucking up through that top piece of the PCV that has no hose connected.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke