Engine OIL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RSMIKE

Reaction score
Hi I'm new in to the Bronco scene

I life in Europe but to find information about Broncos is not really easy here

My Question is what Oil you run in your Engine ????

I has a 94 351W and i would doing a 10W40 half synthetic oil in it is that right or a full synthetic 5W40

Thanks for any help

Best Regards

Mike

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Mike!

I use 5W-30

Ford recommended 5W-30 though as shown in this;

Oil, SAE Viscosity Recommendation TSB 98-8-16 by Ford for 89-96

APRIL 26, 1999

ISSUE: Ford Motor Company now recommends SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade forservicing any Ford gasoline-powered vehicle regardless of model year.

ACTION: When servicing any Ford gasoline-powered vehicle, use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade motor oil. Refer to the following text for further details.

Both SAE 10W-30 and SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade motor oils have been recommended in the past depending on vehicle model and model year.

Tests have proven SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade motor oil provides the optimum protection and benefits for Ford gasoline engines. At both high and low ambient temperature conditions, SAE 5W-30 provides the best overall protection. It allows faster starts under cold ambient temperatures.

SAE 5W-30 also provides approximately 1/2% increase in fuel economy over SAE 10W-30.

SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade motor oils certified for gasoline engines by the American Petroleum Institute (API) should be used for all service procedures requiring replacement of the motor oil.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: INFORMATION ONLY

OASIS CODES: 401000, 490000, 499000

Then changed it ti 5W-20 in this later TSB

Oil, Application TSB 02-1-9 for 93-96 Source: by Ford via thedieselstop.com

AdamDude04

Reaction score
I personally use Penzoil 10W40

All the major brands are good.. I have over 316k on my motor and still going strong on regular oil. It's said that when going to synthetic, you want to do it in the early miles of the motor (under the 50k mark usually)..

OP
OP
R

RSMIKE

Reaction score
Ok thanks

So i has buy now Motul 5W30 Full synthetic

I think that is a good choice

But now in the morning starting my Bronco run 2miles and Check engine light on the dash goes on

all days new problems with him :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:

95 buckin bronco

Reaction score
i run castrol 20w50 to be honest this keeps my truck goin it had 210,000 on it when i rebuilt the motor and i just rebuilt it cause i had to get the trans out for rebuild and i had and oil leak other than that i didnt have a problem with it and no worries about the check engine light just run codes on it shouldnt be a big thing i mean u got a ford things dont just break on them my check engine light comes on after a couple of miles to its just a 18 dollar o2 sensor just havent had the time to replce it.

OP
OP
R

RSMIKE

Reaction score
Hey Buckin

Thanks the o2 Sensor for 18 dollar is not the problem but to find out why the check engine light goes on that it is

But this Week i check all and i hope to find the fault

Thanks to all for reply

Regards Mike

AdamDude04

Reaction score
o2 sensor is often a overlooked item. I changed my downstream last year..no check engine light anymore.. but didn't change the upstream sensor...thanks for reminding me guys LOL I gotta get to that soon!

OP
OP
R

RSMIKE

Reaction score
Hey Adam Dude

I has changed the o2 sensor but thats f...d engine light is not out

So i think i must doing a EEC test

But thanks

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
RSMike, just swapping out parts can be expensive, but the O2 sensors have approximately 60,000 mile life span, so it was probably a good preventive maintenance thing to do.

Do you know how to pull codes?

How to scan FORD on board Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in your driveway

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=14269&view=findpost&p=74587

Howto Pull Codes 1983-1995 Broncos, Mustang, F series Trucks, Econolines, 302, 351 and more

OP
OP
R

RSMIKE

Reaction score
@Bronco Joe

Yes i has read your thread i will try that this week i hope i can find something

Good explication your post great ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo