5.0 EFI project

4 replies to this topic

#1 09163x

09163x

Bronco Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:56 AM

I have a 90 F-150 with a 5.0 EFI as a donor for my 72 Bronco. I've owned the 90 for years and rebuilt the motor years ago and it hasnt seen alot of miles, it's mildly built and is a good runner. The 72 motor runs ok but has oil leaks as the Bronco sat for 3 years before I bought it. JBG has a complete harness to do this and I'm looking for some insight before tackling the project. I pulled the motor the other day so I could send the rest of the truck to the scrap yard. I unplugged the motor from the chassis and saved the ecm from the 90. What else do I need besides the harness?
OK.... for some reason, I can search the Forum now that I've posted.... but didn't find what I was looking for. But I'll add a little more info. The 72 is Currently a 302, mated to a 435/205 combo. I know I need to upgrade my fuel tank to an EFI type (I need a 23 gallon anyway).I has a 9" susp lift and 3" body lift so that should help any clearance issues. What else do Ineed to know?

Edited by 09163x, 18 October 2009 - 07:16 AM.

#2 68rrflyer

68rrflyer

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Classic cars, classic trucks, classic everything!

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:25 AM

I have a 90 F-150 with a 5.0 EFI as a donor for my 72 Bronco. I've owned the 90 for years and rebuilt the motor years ago and it hasnt seen alot of miles, it's mildly built and is a good runner. The 72 motor runs ok but has oil leaks as the Bronco sat for 3 years before I bought it. JBG has a complete harness to do this and I'm looking for some insight before tackling the project. I pulled the motor the other day so I could send the rest of the truck to the scrap yard. I unplugged the motor from the chassis and saved the ecm from the 90. What else do I need besides the harness?
OK.... for some reason, I can search the Forum now that I've posted.... but didn't find what I was looking for. But I'll add a little more info. The 72 is Currently a 302, mated to a 435/205 combo. I know I need to upgrade my fuel tank to an EFI type (I need a 23 gallon anyway).I has a 9" susp lift and 3" body lift so that should help any clearance issues. What else do Ineed to know?

To convert over to EFI, you've got a lot of things to consider. You'll need two harnesses specifically from your F-150 for sure; Fuel rail harness and engine harness. The main engine harness is the big one that connects to everything and the smaller one runs on top of the engine and connects the injectors, sensors, etc. You'll need to convert the tank to an EFI one like you already said, and you'll also need an electric fuel pump and return line on the fuel system. You'll need to weld in an O2 sensor into the exhaust just aft of the collectors (about 2" or so). You may have to think about hood clearance issues since the F-150s intake top is higher than the Mustang 5.0 intake ( I think...). You'll more than likey have to rig up an intake system as the MAF and Air Cleaner may have fitment issues. Ron Morris Performace has a lot of good info for the swaps: http://www.ronmorris...tech/index.html Hope that helps some!
Cheers

Dave
1972 Bronco - Frame up resto: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3195055

#3 riggermortis

riggermortis

Bronco Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Favorite Bronco Year?:1967

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:20 PM

another good website is www.fordfuelinjection.com they have alot of good info on swaps. from my experience so far it almost looks like a mustang harness would be easier to use than the truck harness. the mustang harness is pretty much all self contained, where the truck harness is tied in with the main chassis harness. im going to try to use a truck harness on a swap within the next couple of months we'll see how it goes. and as far as the height of the intake the truck one is way to tall to fit under the stock hood, the mustang one barely clears mine on my '67 bronco.

Edited by riggermortis, 19 December 2009 - 03:22 PM.

1967 sport bronco
1970 302 with .30 pistons & RV cam and speed density EFI added
3 speed with overdrive(SROD)& hurst 4 speed shifter, tranny converted to fit a dana 20
1972 dana 44 front with OEM(1979 F150)disk conversion
OEM power steering
OEM power brakes
23 gal main tank
4" suspention lift & 35" BFG's
4.11's with factory lock in rear
OEM delay single motor wiper upgrade
custom built by me nerf bars(brakets anyway),windshield braces built into rollbar,
way heavy duty bumpers and spare tire swinger with highlift jack mount
custom heater upgrade
true duel exhaust with h pipe and flowmasters

1973 sport bronco

5.5 inch all spring lift
1979 f150 disk brakes up front

duel flowmaster exhaust

everything else stock for now

1979 harley FXS lowrider 1340
2000 FLHTPI electraglide police

#4 Steve83

Steve83

Bronco Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Interests:DVDs, MP3s, Broncos, Crown Vics, radio controlled models, home theater, home improvement

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:06 AM

My input is not appreciated by the staff, so I'm removing it. Users may still contact me through my profile.

Edited by Steve83, 14 June 2010 - 09:37 PM.

#5 mikeiam82

mikeiam82

Bronco Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Wrenchin on cars, 10 year bodyman
  • Favorite Bronco Year?:1969

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

Just to clarify, you do not need to buy an efi tank unless you want ease of use and more fuel capacity. Im using my stock tank for the efi swap and im just plumbing the fuel return line into the rear fuel neck and using 2 frame pumps.
Planned:
1969 Bronco
302 EFI
NV3550
Dana 20
2.5 suspension / 1 inch body lift
33 inch tires
4.11 gears
23 gallon main tank
soft top
Rally style roll cage.

Reply to this topic