1978 Bronco Tailgate window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

custom

Reaction score
just bought a 1978 Ford Bronco. My rear window lift does not work. I pulled a known good working assembly out of another bronco, plugged it in, and now power. Leads me to believe that there is a problem with the fuse (will not work when using the key in the rear tailgate or from the switch on the dash).

does anybody have a diagram of the fuse panel? there was no fuse panel cover, and the writting that is on the fuse panel is not all the legible. thank you in advance for any help...

Seabronc

Reaction score
I doubt that it is a fuse problem since each switch has it's own fuse, however both could be bad. The tailgate key switch is hot at all times and the driver switch is only hot when the ignition switch is in RUN. The problem is more likely the grounding end of the circuit. Attached is a wiring diagram for an 83, but that circuit has always been the same for all FSBs.

NOTE: that the ground has to return through the driver switch and if it is not in it's neutral position you can not get a ground return. Mine has caught me that way several times, and is the first thing I check if the tailgate switch doesn't work.

Good luck,

:)>-

Tail_gate_window_circuit_80__86.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

custom

Reaction score
I doubt that it is a fuse problem since each switch has it's own fuse, however both could be bad. The tailgate key switch is hot at all times and the driver switch is only hot when the ignition switch is in RUN. The problem is more likely the grounding end of the circuit. Attached is a wiring diagram for an 83, but that circuit has always been the same for all FSBs.
NOTE: that the ground has to return through the driver switch and if it is not in it's neutral position you can not get a ground return. Mine has caught me that way several times, and is the first thing I check if the tailgate switch doesn't work.

Good luck,

:)>-
any idea on the where abouts of the ground wire is grounded at?

50joe

Reaction score
Before going to far, rip apart the wiring where the tailgate meets the quarter. Gotta figure all that flexing over the years breaks the wires. That was the problem with mine, and cant see how they would have changed the design....

cantbecaught4

Reaction score
My 78 rear window recently quit working. I took the back access cover off on the inside of the tailgate and found that there was a short in the one wire connector. I just cut out the old connector and rewired a new one and the window works like new. This may be another option to try. Let us know what you find.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane