Need WAY More Braking Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
i have the dana 60 front and corp 14 bolt rear with 4 wheel discs, brand new pads all the way around on the truck and i am having nothing but problems with my brakes every time i head out

i'm not sure what the master cylinder is out of that it's my truck

situation that's happening is as soon as there any type of steep terrain the pedal goes to the floor in efforts to try and slow my rig down

3 times today when out on the trail i had to get strapped to another truck and lowered down mountain side

fluid isn't escaping and there's no air in the lines

my thoughts are running back and forth btwn going for hydro brakes or that the throw on the pedal is too short and the rod that goes through the fire wall should be lengthened

any other ideas of what i can try or what may be causing this?

Trooperuss

Reaction score
I'd first try to find out what booster & master you have.

If a previous owner threw in something else that had a different stroke then that could seriously mess up your braking ability.

There is a difference between the 78 and 79 boosters. (see article below)

Another thing to check would be the lines,(for leaks corrosion, dents, etc) and if you have rubber hoses, I'd replace them with braided stainless.

Rubber lines will flex under extreme pressure which can cause the symptoms you're seeing, especially if the booster & master are stronger than stock.

Highly suggest you read through this article.

It helped me understand where improvements could be made.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/13/...rd_Broncos.html

I have done this upgrade (only did the fronts, just upgraded the ***** cylinders on the rears) and mine now stops faster than my fathers 2009 f150.

I also have huge stoping force for going down hill, I've held it still (while in gear,with an auto, at idle) pointing down a 60-70 degree hill and still had lots more pedal room.

You'd only need to read the section on the fronts, as you've already upgraded the rears.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Miss Kitten

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
thank you for the article trooper. it keeps referring to the 15" rims, and i'm assuming stock tire size as well. i'm trying to slow down 44" tires on 16" rims :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i already have the stainless steel brake lines, and dual piston calipers on the truck (front and back). i also have an adjusting brake bias.

i'm going to have to see what i can find on the master and booster for parts or id numbers and see if those have been upgraded. i'm sure there were, but i do wonder if they were upgraded with parts for a 78 not a 79

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Missy' (just happened to see this post)

"....pedal goes to the floor..... fluid isn't escaping and there's no air in the lines."

I can all but guarantee it's your M/C leak/bypassing internally.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
One test

(although not foolproof) is (while in garage, or parked) to hold pretty heavy press. with your foot on pedal.

(eng. runn'n if pwr. brakes)

You may feel the pedal sinking., sometimes very little but sinking...it may take several min.

If it does., chances are pretty good it's the M/C

HTH

B

washbee

Reaction score
The single diaphragm 11" vacuum booster isn't adequate for the stock brakes, much less something modified like yours. I'm running a '78 F-350 2-wheel drive m/c and booster on the firewall. It's definitely worth the swap. The F-350 booster is a 9" double-diaphragm unit much better suited for stopping. I'd even consider the hydro-boost brake system since your running 44's. The money spent will be well worth it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar