88 Bronco 2 Flywheel/starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisWNC

Reaction score
Alright, I have a 88 Bronco 2, 2.9L V-6, 5-speed and 4wd. first a lil backround info. My starter has been acting up for a while. And by acting up i mean not turning the flywheel. So not having any money to buy a new starter led me to tap on the starter housing with a small hammer. Only had to do this occasionally and once I gave the starter a cpl of sharp raps it turned over. So one day I jump in the bronco and it decides it aint going to start so I do my little rapping deal and tryed again. Still no start so I rolled it off and got it somewhere where I could work on it. So I take the starter off and head over to Advance Auto Parts to get a remanufactured starter. I get the "new" starter home and back into the Bronco and now when I turn the key I get a grinding sound. I figure maybe it was the starter so took it back and paid the difference for a NEW starter. Put that one in and get the same grinding noise then wat sounds like the starter free spinning. I pulled the starter back off and got to looking at the gear on the starter and it looks like the starter is only going in about half the way. Meaning only half of the teeth on the starter's gear is making contact with the flywheel.

Now I have read a few of the starting problems posts and I am going to go out and check the solenoid and see if its bad. I have already looked over the flywheel and it looks alright. I even took the time to count the teeth on the flywheel. I know that I have 138 teeth on the flywheel. If anyone cud help me out and lend some advice on this matter it would be greatly appreciated. Also if someone knows how many teeth the Stock Original FlyWheel had and cud post that I appreciate it.

Thanks

bronco dude

Reaction score
Well i have the same problem out of mine and i have a new flywheel starter clutch pressure plate throw out bearing ***** cylinder the works lol and its still doing it i would appreciate it if some one could help me....thanx

OP
OP
C

ChrisWNC

Reaction score
Alright so upon further investigation this is what I have come to. First of all the stock flywheel on the Bronco 2 has 138 teeth so I am good there. And after tearing the tranny, transfer case, and the front drive shaft out to get to the flywheel, I replace the ring gear on the flywheel. Put it all back together and still that same grinding noise. After asking around I am believe that I have the incorrect starter. But according to the parts store I have the correct one. I call bull hunky on that and asked a Master Mechanic. He said that Ford is notorious for putting different starters on same platform. So with that being said does anyone know long the nose cone on the starter needs to be for the Mitsubishi Tranny on my bronco 2.

I may be able to answer my own quesiton here in a few days. My buddy has an either 88 or 89 ranger that has the 2.9L V-6 in it. I am hoping that his starter is the correct one for my bronco.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know

bronco dude

Reaction score
after asking around for a while i discoverd that ford put a shim in the tranny it bolts between thke bell housing and the engine and i put a smaller starter on mine and it solved the probelm the starter is not the right one but it works

country82

Reaction score
i had the same problem on a 86 and it was the top bolt hole stipping out letting the bolt back out just enough for the starter to move. ij drilled the hole all the way through and put a bolt and nut in it and it fixed it. only thing was bout ever 2 months it would move on me an i would have to adjust it but it was better then ever time i tried to crank it

crissyray

Reaction score
What size bolt because ivefound mine to be loose I'm having onehelluva time here trying not to replace flywheel I have strong feeling it's somethi g like that exactly

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke