460 fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djshnizle

Reaction score
do you have to swap the heads to switch over to a carb from fuel injection on the 460? also would it be worth beefing up the fuel injection? I will be picking up an early 80s 1 ton and stripping it to suit the needs of my 79 bronco and soon to come 28 t-bucket project, and am trying to decide what to do with the extra big blocks fuel system...

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
An intake manifold for a carb will not fit the EFI heads on the 87-up 460. However, you can use an adapter on the lower EFI intake like I did on my 88 460, and keep the EFI heads. Got it from Price Motorsports:

engine38.jpg

You need to plug the injector holes, and remove the IAT sensor.

My opinion, the factory speed density system on these motors is lacking in performance and will not accept radical changes to the cam or heads. An aftermarket fuel injection system would be much better, but cost and time were the reasons I went with the carb (Holley Truck Avenger 770cfm). You can find a ton of info over at 460ford.com, JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

Broncobill78

Reaction score
well, it's a choice. A carb is certainly easiest to setup but fuel injection will give you more hp/torque and better mileage & drivability. The downside is of course that it's more expensive, complex to install & troubleshoot, particularly a factory system. If you have ALL of the supporting hardware (wiring harness, control module, high & low pressure fuel pumps, etc) then you certainly *can* retrofit the factory EFI onto what you're building. I suspect there's probably someone out there with a kit allowing you to run the factory hardware without all that but I haven't looked into it yet. I'm starting on another 460 swap of my own but I'm planning to run with a throttle body EFI rather than the stock multiport.

If all you have is the factory hardware then I'd look into what's available for stand-alone setups, otherwise you'll have to find a matching harness & PCM to make it run.

Personally, it's a lot of work but worth it if you can run a Mass Air EFI (I wouldn't bother with a Speed Density system unless the engine was pretty much stock or very lightly modified) the the benefits will be well worth the effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

djshnizle

Reaction score
Well, I did a little research an come to find out the factory manifold and iron heads weigh a ton... Im not so sure about newer engines but I found that switching over to aluminum heads and intake manifold will hack nearly 90 pounds off. seeing as it will be put in a car this sounds like the way to go.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The main benefit of the early heads like the Dove-C's is the larger combustion chamber size. The range will be somewhere from about 90cc on those down to 70cc on other models of carbed heads. Of course, if you're swapping to aluminum heads, you're prolly looking at the larger cc anyway. I'd be intersted in the brand and other info on what you swap to.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar