#1 SLICKS92BRONCO

SLICKS92BRONCO

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Broncoing

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:14 AM

I have a 92 Bronco with a 5.8, I am trying to troubleshoot a starting problem. Yesterday my truck started hesitating and losing power. I realized that I had run out of gas because my gas tank was bone dry gas gauge showed 1/4 tank. Put gas in it changed out the fuel filter, It rotates but will not start and when it did run it was pinging and misfiring and will not stay running. I am trying to narrow it down by reading the check engine code but I can't get to the auto parts store, I know you can check it without a code reader but I have never done it on a Ford. Can anyone tell me how to read this code so I can narrow down the problem. Thanks for any help.
1992 Eddie Bauer Bronco
5.8L stock
33" mudders
Automatic Trans.

#2 regarrr

regarrr

Bronco Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:26 AM

http://broncozone.co...amp;#entry74587

Broncojoe wrote this. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I've used it a few times. It works the same way on the 5.0 and 5.8 EFI's. On newer models you don't need the multi meter because the check engine light will flash the codes once you jumper the diagnostic circuit. Also the Haynes manual has pretty detailed instructions, but it's a little confusing. If you use broncojoe's article with the Haynes book it should be a piece of cake. make sure you memorize the procedure for key on engine running before you start because everything happens really fast.
1987 Bronco 5.0 EFI 4x4
Flowmaster American Thunder
6" Superlift
35x12.5R16 Interco SSR's
Stock Drivetrain (For Now...)

#3 Steve83

Steve83

Bronco Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Interests:DVDs, MP3s, Broncos, Crown Vics, radio controlled models, home theater, home improvement

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:14 PM

All '84-95 EFIs work the same, and all '87-95 flash the CEL. Read the 7th post in this thread if you want to know EVERYTHING!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users