Fuel gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lascassas_camper

Reaction score
I just bought a 1994 Bronco XLT, (Not an E.B.) the fuel gauge is not working. What should I look for?

*Also; For Sale 1982 Ford Bronco, 6 cyl, 4 speed, runs good, rusty but trusty. Murfreesboro, TN. first $1500.00 cash or O.B.O.

bronco_trade.jpg

Dwreck

Reaction score
i also have this problem, although mine changes it moves around crazily on occasion, never still to be honest.

billbronco

Reaction score
I have the problem of the fuel gauge moving back and forth. The fuel sending unit has been replaced 7 time and they all work fine for awhile and then start moving from where the fuel level is to way past full. The dealership and ford engineer can't figure it out. Anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks!

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
clean your grounds at the upper radiator support, I think the one on the driver's side is the ground for the fuel pump and fuel guage sending unit.

billbronco

Reaction score
clean your grounds at the upper radiator support, I think the one on the driver's side is the ground for the fuel pump and fuel guage sending unit.
BroncoJoe19, Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion and the fuel gauge still moves from where the fuel level should be and past full and back again. When I statred the bronco the gauge was in the correct postion and when I put the bronco in reverse and back out the fuel gauge starts moving.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Bill, What year do you have?

floats either way; There is a brass float attached to the sending unit, and eventually they can develop a pin hole leak and cause erratic readings

Testing; "...If the guage reads normally for some of its range, but reads full or bounces between full and the real value, the most likely cause is a worn level sender. The fuel level sender is a variable resistor located in the gas tank. A wiper attached to the float rides across the resistor, causing a change in the resistance seen by the dashboard guage. A high resistance (or open circuit) reads as "Full" on Ford gas guages. Over time, the wiper may wear through the resistor, causing dead spots which read as full. The only fix for this problem is to replace the sender. by Matt K at off-road.com via web.archive.org

DIY Test w/

in 78-86;

Full = 10 Ohms

Half Tank = 25 Ohms

Empty = 50 Ohms

Testing & Wiring Diagram for 92-96 Bronco; "...Sender Range: Full = 160 Ohms; Empty = 16 Ohms; gauge that pegs past full indicates an open circuit (broken wire; unplugged connector; corroded terminal; burned sender) on the Y/W wire. A gauge that pegs past empty indicates a short to ground (pinched to the frame, body, or dash supports) on the Y/W wire. gauge that doesn't move indicates an open circuit (blown fuse; corroded terminal) on the power (battery) side of the gauge OR a bad instrument cluster ground at C251 pin 9. The terminals of C251 (& C250) are known to corrode & lose contact. Polish both the connector pins AND the film circuit pads with brown paper or a pink eraser..." by Steve83 at http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/569506

Wiring Diagram in a 95 (see#4) Full = 145 Ohms; Empty = 22.5 Ohms

Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12749

Wiring Diagram, Haynes for a 78

Source: by Mike S (Broncster, BRONKSTER) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/7387/66120

for Fuel Gauge Sender and/or Fuel Pump Replacement w/out dropping Tank via a Cut-out Panel Fabrication in floor pan for; see my site, specifically @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=616 for Links

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
ok.

I know there is a lot of NEW out-sourcing going on in past few years, esp. to CHINA; whose companies do devious practices; They really messed us up with the LEAD BASED PAINT in children's toys and thangs; they screwed many John Deere tractor and mower owners w/bad bearings... and the list grows daily.

The Ford mechanics COULD have tested each sender they pulled. Its not rocket science. They should have mentioned if they did that & if they did the wiggle test on each connecter and wiring harness/& ground point in da CKT with and without power (*see Steve83's statement below).

Ask the Service Manager if they tested the old senders after pulling em from your bronco.

...our now closed Dealer's Serv. Mngr. spent much time on fonecons w/other dealers to help find me a 4WABS Module... they found only one dealer (UTAH) in the USA that had one in-stock,, it turned out to be a used unit that was bad..someone along the line had switched the new for the bad part.

But these senders aren't obsolete..yet..so they should be able to find a good one if that's really the problem. 

Float & Resistor Assy. pic & Test in 90-96; "...The level sender merely screws to the side of the FDM & its wire plugs onto the tank plate. Before reinstalling the FDM, I removed the EEC PWR relay (which also kills the FP relay), turned the key to RUN, & checked both the old & new senders through the full range of motion. The old was definitely bad, & the new definitely good..." 

Sender pic in 87-96 Broncos "...& most 87-97 F-series"; Motorcraft pn PS2

Source: by Ford 

"...Apparently, this fits all '87-96 Broncos & most '87-97 F-series. List is ~$80 tax from Ford; I paid ~$55 total from Parts Plus..."

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Bill,

I now know its time to go to the Regional Service Manager and get them involved in this; I am guessing you have a heckuva lotta $$$ in this already.

BTW, ask the mech if he thinks the Instrument Voltage Regulator (IVR)is da problem; if he says ... yeah.. get away from him ASAP!

this is for PRIOR YEAR FORDS & BRONCOS

Instrument Voltage Regulator (IVR) Location & Causes of Erratic Gauges; "...The cluster "voltage regulator" is going bad, and staying on too long, sending too much current through the gauges & sensors. It has finally locked on, and is burning out your sensors every time you turn your key on. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Remove the instrument cluster and then pop the VR off the film circuit - it's a metal box with 2 brass snaps. They're available at most parts stores for a few bucks. The hardest part will be getting the headlight & wiper knobs off, so post again if you need instructions on that.In this photo, counting from the RIGHT, it's between the 2nd & 3rd black bulb holders along the top of the cluster. You can see the hex ***** holding the mounting tab, and just below that, you can see the 2 brass snap terminals.

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at FSB

And by an old pal, Mullet; "... believe the 87 (88 for sure) and later Fords do not use an IVR. They use a system of small coils built into the gauge and depend on variable voltage sending units to function. Best indication of a bad IVR use to be the temp and fuel gauges performing radically at the same time since the constant voltage side of the gauges were receiving a wrong or intermittent voltage. If your fuel gauge is bad, it is probably the sender in the tank that is bad. Ford trucks from about 86 to 92 are famous for this problem..."

One thAng I need to know again... was the last sending unit tested and shows up bad? any signs of physical damage to the unit? If so, I am thinking that the tank's baffle is loose o broken pievces are damaging the sender.

If no damage, then is the var resistor open or erratic during the test?

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Mine likes to add gas when I brake, and take away gas when I accelerate. Not anything drastic..but enough to notice. This normal?

2percent

Reaction score
Mine likes to add gas when I brake, and take away gas when I accelerate. Not anything drastic..but enough to notice. This normal?
My 89 did that before failing totally but I do believe it is a floating tank and a lot of older model vehicles do this.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
My 89 did that before failing totally but I do believe it is a floating tank and a lot of older model vehicles do this.
I figured as much..but for the age of the truck (mine 89 too) it does have a lot of electronics.. I know on my new truck the guys on the forums say the gauge is electronc controlled - Basicly the needle doesn't move when the floater in the tank moves..it calculates when braking/accelating/up or down hills/ and adjusts properly. Didn't know if maybe the Bronco has something kinda simular..

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Our Broncos & F Series didn't come w/ an anti-slosh module to avoid the fuel level gauge needle from swingin' like a 60's go-go girl...

This is some info and an Installation Article by Steve83

13module.jpg

With more effort, this Gauge-Check module can be wired in externally to an '87-96 cluster. In addition to the 5 terminals on the smaller Anti-Slosh module, this one has a redundant ground, & inputs for oil pressure & coolant temperature. Accordingly, the warning light it triggers should be positioned & labelled to alert the driver to check fuel, oil, or temperature gauges (instead of fuel specifically).

It is part of his, "...Low Fuel Light for 92-96 Install Article

2percent

Reaction score
I figured as much..but for the age of the truck (mine 89 too) it does have a lot of electronics.. I know on my new truck the guys on the forums say the gauge is electronc controlled - Basicly the needle doesn't move when the floater in the tank moves..it calculates when braking/accelating/up or down hills/ and adjusts properly. Didn't know if maybe the Bronco has something kinda simular..
I know what you mean My xlt is loaded and wires everywhere. Trying to get mine running right again as we speak just set timing now I gotta let the battery charge again.

billbronco

Reaction score
Bill,

I now know its time to go to the Regional Service Manager and get them involved in this; I am guessing you have a heckuva lotta $$$ in this already.

BTW, ask the mech if he thinks the Instrument Voltage Regulator (IVR)is da problem; if he says ... yeah.. get away from him ASAP!

this is for PRIOR YEAR FORDS & BRONCOS

Instrument Voltage Regulator (IVR) Location & Causes of Erratic Gauges; "...The cluster "voltage regulator" is going bad, and staying on too long, sending too much current through the gauges & sensors. It has finally locked on, and is burning out your sensors every time you turn your key on. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Remove the instrument cluster and then pop the VR off the film circuit - it's a metal box with 2 brass snaps. They're available at most parts stores for a few bucks. The hardest part will be getting the headlight & wiper knobs off, so post again if you need instructions on that.In this photo, counting from the RIGHT, it's between the 2nd & 3rd black bulb holders along the top of the cluster. You can see the hex ***** holding the mounting tab, and just below that, you can see the 2 brass snap terminals.

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at FSB

And by an old pal, Mullet; "... believe the 87 (88 for sure) and later Fords do not use an IVR. They use a system of small coils built into the gauge and depend on variable voltage sending units to function. Best indication of a bad IVR use to be the temp and fuel gauges performing radically at the same time since the constant voltage side of the gauges were receiving a wrong or intermittent voltage. If your fuel gauge is bad, it is probably the sender in the tank that is bad. Ford trucks from about 86 to 92 are famous for this problem..."

One thAng I need to know again... was the last sending unit tested and shows up bad? any signs of physical damage to the unit? If so, I am thinking that the tank's baffle is loose o broken pievces are damaging the sender.

If no damage, then is the var resistor open or erratic during the test?
There has been no damage to the sending units when they are removed. I am not sure if the 96 Bronco has a baffle or a slosh module. The sending units were checked to be good going in the tank and check bad when taken out. They did take two of them apart and they said they looked 10 years old where the grate is worn and they were only a few weeks old.I don't know what a var resistor is but I have left a message for the tech to look into that. As said before they started at the battery and went to the tank cleaning connections, adding ground to the tank and checking with an ohm meter and the last one was fine for 4 weeks and the sending unit started making the gauge go from where the fuel level is to way past full and back and fourth to all levels.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Bill,

ok, I'm sue someone from Ford will have to spend time looking at the units and finding the problem. If you haven't spoken to the Ford mech yet, also ask him what the "grate" he was ref. to; the pump screen or the venturi filter screen as shown in that diagram by Ford via Steve? http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/739645

Also, ask if they tested the unit electrically; that is, applying 12 V DC to it and moving the float, preferably in a large enfu container full of water

the var resistor is the white device in this pic by Steve; it contains the var R that provides the Resistance in ohms to the ckt based on the float's position, http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/739645/fullsize/fuellevelsenders.jpg

I also posted this info by Steve earlier in this thread;

Testing & Connector Pin-Outs in 92-96 Bronco; Sender Range: Full = 160 Ohms; Empty = 16 Ohms; "... gauge that pegs past full indicates an open circuit (broken wire; unplugged connector; corroded terminal; burned sender) on the Y/W wire.

gauge that pegs past empty indicates a short to ground (pinched to the frame, body, or dash supports) on the Y/W wire, OR a sunk float.

gauge anywhere in between that doesn't move indicates an open circuit (blown fuse; corroded terminal) on the power (battery) side of the gauge OR a bad instrument cluster ground at C251 pin 9. The terminals of C251 (& C250) are known to corrode & lose contact. Polish both the connector pins AND the film circuit pads with brown paper or a pink eraser. The larger version of C441(WPT454) was used until '93. The level sender can usually be disassembled & repaired by bending the wiper arm inside the plastic housing to apply slightly more force...

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar