1997 Ford Expedition XLT

1 reply to this topic

#1 picojay

picojay

Bronco Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:05 PM

My 1997 XLT came without the Overhead Console thermometer/compass. I purchased a used one and put it in with the wire harness but it still does not work. My question is, does it have to be programmed in the vehicle computer to turn it on or should it come on once its plugged in. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Seabronc

Seabronc

Supreme Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7438 posts
  • Interests:YES
  • Favorite Bronco Year?:1983

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:11 AM

Did you get the temperature sensor that mounts near the grill?  If the truck didn't come with the console, it will not have the sensor installed.  It mounts behind a little black shield, but I believe the wiring will be there.

Also, you need to calibrate the compass.  That is done by going to a large parking lot where you can drive around in a circle about 4 or 5 times.  Set the compass in calibrate mode and start driving around in a circle until it is calibrated.  I believe it will shut off the calibrate mode when it is finished.  It has been a long time since I have done it so I don't remember if it shut off automatically or if I just noticed that it was giving the correct magnetic indications and reset it myself.   

Good Luck,

:)>-

Fred

Parts replacement is not trouble shooting, replacement follows trouble shooting

Broncos are MPVs not SUVs

Engines run on fuel, or steam

Motors run on electricity, hydraulic fluid, vacuum, or air

Communication: I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I didn't say what I meant.

Some of my pictures at Supermotors http://www.supermotors.net/212

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users