94 Gear Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94BRONCO

Reaction score
A little help needed.

I want to change the front and rear diff. oil. I have some questions.

1) What weight oil is needed.

2) Is there agasket to replace or do you use hi temp RTV

3) Anything to be aware of before I do this.

4) What is the front diff procedure

Thanks in advance

94_bronc

Reaction score
just did this on mine about a week ago

there is no gasket for the rear i used high temp rtv

front the simplest way is to get a suckion punp and **** it out

gear oil weight is syn 75w140

if you dont use syn it should be changed every 3,000 miles

with syn it says 100,000 which i think is bs i wouldn,t leave any thing in my bronco

for 100,000

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
You will only get so much by sucking it out. You should pull the front apart and get a $5 gasket set and inspect the gears. Most times there is metal and perhaps chunks you will want to get out of there. The rear should have a bottom drain plug. After its drained fill it up thru the plug on the dis eof the diff and add oil until it comes out the hole.

Then you should drain the transfercase since it also takes gear oil and open the bottom drain plug and refil until it overflows the fill hole.

I have always used 80/90w.

cryptonik420

[SoP]BigSix4.9L
Reaction score
:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Hold on there buddy! the NP208 uses auto tranny fluid! Please use the right fluids when flushing them!

Be sure to either read your owner's manual or a service manual. That will ensure that you are using the correct weight and viscosity of fluid for that specific vehicle. :)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

drcarter0734

Reaction score
I just did my last week when rebuilding my front end. To pull the front diff off you have to pull the axles, which means you have to pull most of your front end apart. I got the gasket for about 5 bucks at NAPA. While you have it apart I would repace the seal on the drivers side axel. It is a couple of bucks also. My rear is kinda of pain, I have to pull the carrier off in order to drain. The gasket for it is about 7 bucks for a 9 inch. I used Royal Purple synthetic gear oil. A little more but I think worth it.

james50cal

Reaction score
If you have limited slip diffs you also have to put a friction addetive in too. Otherwise your clutches will just slip.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke