will a 1991 bronco tailgate fit a 1996 bronco??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96Brnk

Reaction score
ok i found a 1991 tailgate for a really good price , the only problem is i dont know if will work on my truck, iv looked online and seen some places that sell a 84 to 96 tailgate but the one i found said it would fit 1984 to 91.

i cant tell the difference they look the same to me(im a New owner, what can i say), i need the truck done in 2 weeks so a quick answer would help.[/size]

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo 96

It will swap in w/no problemo

btw, for others, here is Mike M's T gate swapping info;

Amazingly throughout the number of body style changes from '78 through '96, the tailgate remained nearly the same. You can swap tailgates between all of these years taking note of the following:

I've broken down the 3 major changes into their respective years.

8 - 79 Type A

80 - 82 Type B

83 - 96 Type C

If your swapping within the same "type" it's just a direct swap.

If swapping A & B you have to switch the glass and glass support brackets

If swapping B & C you have to switch latches and striker plates

If swapping A & C you have to switch the glass, glass support brackets, latches & striker plates

---

Before you swap in da 91, clean-up any rust & debris; use a good rust preventer/converter (such as POR 15 or Rust Bullet; **** w/lithium white grease da regulator & check all connectors/wiring for corrosion/chafing. The plastic gears in da motor assy & the Glass Rollers should be checked as well.

Also swap any of your 96's Weather Seals that are better than the 91's in to save $.

Same for da other parts above.

"...If you're going to tear-down either TG for parts swap, be advised, as our Pal Seabronc has advised others..."watch out for that torsion bar. Remove the bracket that holds it to the right 1/4 panel with the tail gate just barely open or it will hurt you..."

Dustin wrote; "...The next step is to remove the bracket holding the torsion bar to the body. Take extreme care here as the bar packs a lot of force. I recommend trying to remove the bracket while the tailgate is as closed as possible to relieve pressure on the bar. I was foolish enough to do it with the tailgate down. Both bolts broke off allowing the bar to snap back and sent the bracket off to never-never land. I was never able to find the bracket so I had to get another one..."

Dustin has a great article w/many pics on replacing tg internals as well as da entire tg

See page 3 for the torsion bar info & bracket location pic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke