New Early Bronco Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jspurl3

Reaction score
Hey guys-

I have wanted a early bronco for years, and made the move about a month ago. I had a 95 eddie bauer with a 6in lift 35 boggers, etc... It was a blast but had 200k miles and the rust over the fenders and the "common 90's bronco tailgate rust". I couldnt see dumping a ton of money in a 95... Its now gone and I drug a 1970 bronco out of the bushes in Mississippi. A young guy owned it who drove it about 2 yrs ago but turned it on its side and messing up the passenger front fender, passenger side of the grill, and cracked the exhaust manifold. He couldnt afford to fix it so he just left it in the bushes to rot.

Anyways... Since I have gotten it I have mainly worked on the motor. New radiator, water pump, ****** headers, new exhaust, and a bunch of nick nack stuff. It running great! This 302 3spd is much quicker than my 1995 with a 351... I also installed the duff floor shifter conversion, tom's denim captain seats, Wild Horses' crommolly front axles, and warn preminum hubs, bumper and winch. Im am pleased with everything so far except the ****** headers. They rubbed the clutch so I had to grind off some of the clutch fork...

It has a lift on it but I'm not sure how much maybe a 2.5 or 3.5... I put my old 35 boggers on it for now, but hope to go with a 5.5 inch and 38 tsl's. It also was already geared down and has a locker in the rear. Lucky me!

My next few steps are the following:

-Build a back bumper

-Roll cage, soft top, tuffy center console, seat belts

-Replace grill and fender, get door inserts, ufo fender flares, get it painted, and bed liner the inside

-Power steering and disc brakes

I have a few questions...

-My wipers and blinkers work every now and then. I am not very knowledgable about wiring any suggestions on what this can be?

-Also sense I did the duffer floor shifter conversion I dont know how to make reverse light switch work. Any suggestions?

-I bought a new ignition switch cylinder. How do I get the igntion out of the dash? I have fought and fought but I dont want to break anything...

-I am also trying my best not to fork over $450 dollars for grill... Does any one out there have a used grill they are willing to sell or any suggestions on where I can find one??

-I also heard that the its illegal to drive it on the road with the door inserts... I dont really believe this sense a jeep can be driven without doors as long as the mirrors are installed on the windshield. Is it true?

Any advice, suggestions, or questions would be great!!!

Thanks, John

005.JPG

009.JPG

iPhone_011.JPG

iPhone_004.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hay John.., good job..! B)

"-My wipers and blinkers work every now and then. I am not very knowledgable about wiring any suggestions on what this can be?"

This is usually a "ground" issue. (clean your fuse box & fuses as well)

"-Also sense I did the duffer floor shifter conversion I dont know how to make reverse light switch work. Any suggestions?"

Re-route the wires fr. the lower steer. column to the new shifter & make a bracket.

"-I also heard that the its illegal to drive it on the road with the door inserts..."

Nope...I've been doing it for 15 + yrs. (Check LA. DMV laws to be sure.)

"-I bought a new ignition switch cylinder. How do I get..."

Un-clear ...just the "key part.., or the whole ignition switch..?

Your grill doesn't look that bad...did you ask a body shop...?

OP
OP
jspurl3

jspurl3

Reaction score
Thanks Bully Bob!

I have just the key cylinder that one piece. I dont see how I can get it off without taking the ignition out of the dash to install it. It cranks with a flat head right now...

I havent checked the with a body shop yet it may be salvagable thanks!

I had one more question I have a brand new edelbrock 4 barrel carb a friend gave me. Is it worth it to get a new intake manifold and install it. Pros and cons? Will it hit the hood since I dont have a scoop and I dont want ant body lift...

PS- 65 gallons! good lord. you better have a lock on those tanks haha! Id love to see pics

Thanks again

John

Hay John.., good job..! B)
"-My wipers and blinkers work every now and then. I am not very knowledgable about wiring any suggestions on what this can be?"

This is usually a "ground" issue. (clean your fuse box & fuses as well)

"-Also sense I did the duffer floor shifter conversion I dont know how to make reverse light switch work. Any suggestions?"

Re-route the wires fr. the lower steer. column to the new shifter & make a bracket.

"-I also heard that the its illegal to drive it on the road with the door inserts..."

Nope...I've been doing it for 15 + yrs. (Check LA. DMV laws to be sure.)

"-I bought a new ignition switch cylinder. How do I get..."

Un-clear ...just the "key part.., or the whole ignition switch..?

Your grill doesn't look that bad...did you ask a body shop...?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"I have just the key cylinder that one piece."

I believe it takes a "pin" or paperclip ...stick it in that 'lil hole (lower right) & it should come out (so I've been told)

Also.., may req. the key inserted. (OR.., are you saying there's only a 3/4 inch hole left with the lock part missing?)

"...Is it worth it to get a new intake manifold and install it."

I've had both......either/or...didn't matter to me.

Good 4x4'n happens below 1500RPM...so 4brl. doesn't come into play. Work'n it hard in mud or sand...4brl. may help.

There were some hood clearance & linkage issues as I recall.

"PS- 65 gallons! good lord. you better have a lock on those tanks haha! Id love to see pics"

No back seat....41 gal. square alum. tank to sit on..! No one even knows it's there...fills fr. the inside (then sealed) & vents to the rear bumper.

;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
jspurl3

jspurl3

Reaction score
The paper clip worked perfect... Thanks Bully Bob

For anyone else all you have to do to get the key cylinder out of the ignition is to turn the key to ACC push a paperclip in the hole on cylinder and rotate cylinder counter clockwise and it should pop right out

Cheers,

John

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sf66