STARTER SOLENOID AND ALTERNATOR WIRING?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

valerie22

Reaction score
1988 351 WINDSOR NOT STARTING, CRANKS BUT DOESNT TURN OVER, IT GETTING GOOD FUEL, BATTERY CHECKED OUT GOOD, BUT IT LOSES POWER EVERY OTHER DAY OR SO, I HAVE NO FIRE TO THE COIL PACK AND ROTOR, WHICH IS BRAND NEW, HAS NEW SPARK PLUGS AND WIRES, MY WIRING IS ALL JACKED UP FROM THE STARTER SOLENOID, ALTERNATOR, AND BATTERY, SOME WIRES ARE DISCONNECTED FROM POOR ENDS, INCLUDING ONE OF THE FUSIBLE LINKS. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY PICTURES, DIAGRAMS OR ADVICE ON WHAT TO CHECK OR DO.

THANKS VAL

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Val,

Perhaps we can get you started if we went about this the other way around.

Take pictures of what you have and post them.

Perhpas you can edit them in MS Paint. Circle teh missing conections, and number them so that we can reference them.

Next... discribe what it is that you want to do.

If the battery is new and good, why is it dead every other day?

You must have a drain on it, no?

Do you want to hunt that down?

This doesn't give me anything to work with... "MY WIRING IS ALL JACKED UP FROM THE STARTER SOLENOID, ALTERNATOR, AND BATTERY"

So if you are wondering why some threads get a lot of responses, and your's at this point has not, it is in part becuase you asked for pictures, and were not descriptive enough regarding your problem.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
How to find a Battery Drain... short to ground

1. Get a 12v. light bulb that has wries on both ends, (a bulb in a wired socket) I use a trailer clearance light.

2. disconnect the ground cable from the battery

3. dissconnect the positive cable

4. connect the light in line bewteen the postive battery terminal and the positive cable.

5. reconnect the negative battery cable.

NB: while you have them off, examine and clean if necessary.

It is OK for the bulb to glow, but if it shines, there is a short.

The brighter it shines the greater the draw, or drain.

There is always a slight drain on the battery for things like Keep Alive Memory for the computer, radio presets, car alarm, remote starter etc. hence the glow is OK.

6. start pulling fuses, when the light goes out (or rather just down to a glow) you found the circuit that the short is in.

7. If pulling fuses doesn't work, then pull relays, and finally the connections to the alternator.

NB: you'll have two sets of fuses and relays. One set under the hood in the power distribution box, and another under the dash, usually driver's side.

NB: different color fuses are different amperages, and should not be interchagned!

Your owner's manual should have a diagram depicting what items are protected by which fuse.

Once you have narrowed the problem down to a particular circuit, start examining the wiring going to the components. See if any are frayed and contacting metal, try to eliminate sections, by disconnecting connectors, switches, bulbs etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke