Inspection Blues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wchampmd

Reaction score
My 1986 Ford Bronco has passed all but the safety inspection. It failed because of the right rear passenger brake and signal light will not work. Everything else works except the blinker and brake portion of the light on that particular side. The back up light, regular driving lights work, but the filament inside the bulb for the brake and signal will not work. I have checked the socket, fuses, wires, and everything is getting power. I also tried every type of possible bulb with no success. Please if you have any suggestions respond. My Bronco is my daily driver and this posing serious transportation problems.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Every TYPE of bulb?

There is only ONE type that will fit and work.

IT is an 1157

There are two filaments in the bulb, it is possible for one to work while the other is broken. IF you use a continuity tester, hold one probe to the brass jacket of the bulb, and one to each of the lead contacts at the bottom of the bulb. You should have continuity for each of the contacts. If not replace the bulb.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Are you sure that when you press the brake peddle that you have 12V at the bulb contact? Did you check that with a volt meter? The same filament is used for both brake and signal.

Good luck,

:)>-

PG48.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JLasvegas

Reaction score
have a friend stand behind your truck and when you are pressing the brake pedal move the turn signal arm ever so slightly, if the brake like comes on, your switch is shorted out and must be replaced

very common

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke