Smog pump Delete.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronk351

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea on what length of a belt do i need to bypass my smog pump?

I have a 1995 Bronco with a 351W

Thanks. Mike

BB33's

Reaction score
Why do you want to bypass the pump? True, it will create less drag which in turn will help the engine run easier but it barely takes any effort to move as it is. Take your belt off and spin the pully, it can be done with your pinky. If your trying to help the motor run easier an electric fan or not running the ac will make a big difference. Besides the smog pump actually helps the motor run better.

OP
OP
Bronk351

Bronk351

Reaction score
I eliminated my smog/ thermactor system while replacing my motor. I had plans of just leaving the pump and stock belt, but as i went to put it in i noticed the pump has siezed. Who knew it would seize upon putting the pump back in... So i sprayed some PB blaster in there and ended up breaking something on the inside of the pump. It now spins but grinds when i accelerate.

So i need help with the belt. Thanks

BB33's

Reaction score
Oh, ok that makes sense. Just take butchers twine and route it along your accessories(minus the smog pump) and make sure it is tight as if a tensioner was pushing it. Then measure the overall length.

OP
OP
Bronk351

Bronk351

Reaction score
Looking like its gonna be a 94" belt.

Ive ran to autozone way to many times today, First i measured with a string. Not a good idear because the string stretches a ton. With the string i measured 91.5", went and bought the belt and it was about 2 inches to short. So i went back and bought a 93.5 belt, and now im about a half inch to short....

Im dead tired and i can find other things better to do for the rest of the day, so tomorrow il go and get a 94" belt. Does that sound about right?

Keep in mind i made sure the tensioner was all the way springed with the ratchet and 5/8s so i can slip the belt on and then let it recoil. Im burnt out..

OP
OP
Bronk351

Bronk351

Reaction score
The belt is a 94" belt to bypass the smog pump on a 1995 351W. Alot better now that its not making a grinding noise while taking off.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
I went to do this on mine when I eliminated all that stuff and for some reason I remember the belt didnt go around one of the pulleys or something like it should have yes it fit but it didnt have near the contact area it should . I was concerned about the belt slipping so I found a smog pump eliminator bracket that put an idler in place of the pump so it takes the same belt and all the angles stay correct for pulley to belt contact . Might want to look it over again to be sure . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
Bronk351

Bronk351

Reaction score
thanks for the heads up, everything seams nice and aligned. Hopefully no problems because im goin on a long trip tomorrow. Il bring my old belt and a ratchet with me tho.

OP
OP
Bronk351

Bronk351

Reaction score
Why do i have to take the pulley off the smog pump again? The belt while running doesnt come close to anything near the old pully.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22