Antenna cable replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dagger_91Beast

Reaction score
I am replacing the factory antenna cable in my 91. The former owner put in a aftermarket antenna and basically cut and taped the original to a new poor quality one. I've replace a number of these in other vehicles, but regardelss of how clear my line looks I am unable to get the existing cable to move - it just stops just behind the underdash.

Are there any tricks for replacing this that anyone knows? I'd rather not have to remove the entire dash for a simple cable replacement.

Thanks,

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
I am replacing the factory antenna cable in my 91. The former owner put in a aftermarket antenna and basically cut and taped the original to a new poor quality one. I've replace a number of these in other vehicles, but regardelss of how clear my line looks I am unable to get the existing cable to move - it just stops just behind the underdash.
Are there any tricks for replacing this that anyone knows? I'd rather not have to remove the entire dash for a simple cable replacement.

Thanks,
yo!

Never did this yet, but did do it in old 78; think I had to remove the cowl to get cable thru grommet from cowl to under dash area.

Try to find da clips under the dash; remove the glove box get at the cable; it may be necessary to remove the instrument panel pad to get at the cable; some just rip da cable out from under dash to get if away from the retainer clips.

See this Chilton on line info

OP
OP
D

Dagger_91Beast

Reaction score
Thanks! I've been crawling around in the head (105 in Dallas this week!) pulling on this cable for 2 weeks. Will give it a shot tonight when it cools down.

OP
OP
D

Dagger_91Beast

Reaction score
Got this done today. For anybody who gets into this, here is the trick. Remove the glove compartment and at the top back of that section you can find the antenna cable. Follow that back to the firewall. Ford put a hard metal "turn" and a grommet at the wall making it almost impossible to get out without a straight pull. Grab the cable at that point and once "popped" you can easily pull the remaining cable (and your replacement cable) throught the hole.

SeaWolf

Reaction score
Got this done today. For anybody who gets into this, here is the trick. Remove the glove compartment and at the top back of that section you can find the antenna cable. Follow that back to the firewall. Ford put a hard metal "turn" and a grommet at the wall making it almost impossible to get out without a straight pull. Grab the cable at that point and once "popped" you can easily pull the remaining cable (and your replacement cable) throught the hole.

This is info I have been searching for!! I am having the same issue. I got the glovebox removed and can see where the cable passe through the grommet.

Can you explain the "popped" part? I have been pulling on the cable right at the grommet and it won't move.

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno