REBUILDING MY C-6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brandcole73

Reaction score
I HAVE NEVER REBUILT A TRANNY BUT NOT BAD AT MOST OTHER AUTOMOTIVE STUFF. I'VE GOT IT OUT OF THE BRONCO NOW AND AM DEBATING ON DOING IT OR HAVING IT DONE, ANY ADVISE? WHAT SORT OF UPGRADES SHOULD I PUT INTO IT? IT MAILY STAYS ON PAVEMENT AND THE OCATIONAL TWO TRACK NOW DAYS, SO IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE BUILT OVERLY TUFF. IT HAS A 400M THAT HAS A LITTLE WORK DONE TO IT, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT. THE LAST OWNER COULDN'T TELL ME WHAT HAD BEEN DONE, BUT HE SAID IT WAS REBUILT. IT DOES HAVE FRESH ENGINE PAINT, EDLBROCK MANIFOLD AND HOLLY ON IT. IT SOUNDS GOOD AND HAS ALOT OF TORQUE, BUT NOT ANYTHING TO BRAG ABOUT. ANYWAY, ANY THOUGHTS ON THE TRANNY WOULD BE HELPFUL. BANDS, CONVERTER, ETC.

HardMaple

Reaction score
I HAVE NEVER REBUILT A TRANNY BUT NOT BAD AT MOST OTHER AUTOMOTIVE STUFF. I'VE GOT IT OUT OF THE BRONCO NOW AND AM DEBATING ON DOING IT OR HAVING IT DONE, ANY ADVISE? WHAT SORT OF UPGRADES SHOULD I PUT INTO IT? IT MAILY STAYS ON PAVEMENT AND THE OCATIONAL TWO TRACK NOW DAYS, SO IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE BUILT OVERLY TUFF. IT HAS A 400M THAT HAS A LITTLE WORK DONE TO IT, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT. THE LAST OWNER COULDN'T TELL ME WHAT HAD BEEN DONE, BUT HE SAID IT WAS REBUILT. IT DOES HAVE FRESH ENGINE PAINT, EDLBROCK MANIFOLD AND HOLLY ON IT. IT SOUNDS GOOD AND HAS ALOT OF TORQUE, BUT NOT ANYTHING TO BRAG ABOUT. ANYWAY, ANY THOUGHTS ON THE TRANNY WOULD BE HELPFUL. BANDS, CONVERTER, ETC.
If you are a competent mechanic, you can rebuild your own transmission. Before you start, make sure you have a good set of instructions with an excellent parts breakdown so you can reassemble it. Make sure your working environment is clean since auto trannies have very small fluid ports that are designed for very specific pressures and flows. It doesn't take much to clog a port. But you should be careful about dirt when working around any internal powertrain components anyway.

As for upgrades, it sounds like all you need is a valve body shift improver kit. Its a set of gaskets that go between the valve body and the transmission that gives you firmer shifts. The B&M kit gives the option of RV/Towing and Street/Strip in the same box. It all depends on if you want definate firm shifts, or a little pop in the shift (I can't say exactly how firm the shift is in a Bronco, but it would chirp my 74 Grand Prix with a stock 400 on the 1-2 shift). And these kits are very easy to do yourself even if you get the tranny rebuilt by someone else.

illinoisbronco

Reaction score
i recently rebuilt mine, and you have to make sure that you buy a clutch spring compressor tool. ebay for 15 bucks, and an overhaul kit also ebay i think for 150 or so. it was alot easier than i originally thought. but the only thing is that if i were you i would rebuild it, take it to a trans shop have them test it, and then have them install it with your gaskets. they are a ****** to line up propperly. at least that way some of the blame is off of you, and if you dont have a lift and a tranny jack it is going to be a nightmare to put back in. mine weighrd in at a terrific 237 lbs. without fluid...... so please take that advise, i also cracked the bellhousing trying to put mine back in just from sitting under my truck and had to replace it. just inspect yours for cracks first incase the shop breaks it so they cant say it bropke due to a crack.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22