Axle seal leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

esebm

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just redoing the brakes on my Bronco when I notied that one of the rear axles seals seems to have a tiny leak. I know there are leak stoppers for the engine oil and I was wondering if there's such a thing for the differential fluid?

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Not that i know of, only thing i know to do is replace the seal. Maybe someone else on here knows of something...but id say just replace the seal and get it over with.

shift1313

Reaction score
im not sure id want to put any additive in the rear end, especially if you have an lsd unit. Its not really that bad of a job to do the seals. The bearings on the other hand:). What rear end do you have in your truck?

OP
OP
E

esebm

Reaction score
As to rear-end, it's stock I guess.

It has happened before (the same side) and I had the half-axle replaced about 3 years ago. It's sort of strange, the left side has no problems and the right side has the same problem every three years.

Since my transmission seems to be shot (see my post of today), I can't drive it anyway. Need to get another car first.

Thanks,

Ed

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Theres 2 possible rear axles, either a Ford 8.8" or a Ford 9". The 8.8 has a removable rear differential cover, The 9" doesnt. 9" has a removable 3rd member, the whole differential comes out with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

esebm

Reaction score
Then it's got to be the 8.8, the cover can be removed.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Perhaps this is a silly question but is there any chance it was simply fluid from a leaking wheel cylinder ? Beyond that there's nothing that you want to stick into the axle that will stop the leaking. Personally, I'd just live with it until it gets bad enough to bother you into replacing the seal because nothing short of a new seal is going to do the trick.

shift1313

Reaction score
if you have an 8.8 rear end(with removable rear cover) you need to pull the cover off, pull the S spring clip and pull the axle clips. Then you need to remove the wheel, drum to pull the axle out and gain access to the seal. On a 9" rear end the procedure is the other way around. pull the wheel and drum, then you have 4 bolts holding the axle in place. remove those to pull the axle. When swapping gears on a 9" rear you need to pull the axles first because of the integral carrier.

good luck with the truck

OP
OP
E

esebm

Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks for the input. I was just hoping I could delay pulling the axle for a while with some kind of stop-leak stuff. Guess not.

Reaction score
There is a additive that you could try it works great for trans. and engine seals and power steering pumps. ATP Re-Seal AT-205 most good autoparts stores have it the stuff works great, I used it on my 351 rear main seal leak, stopped it from leaking in about 500 miles. B)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke