Bronco side molding Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BB33's

Reaction score
Hey guys just thought I should Voice my opinion on a very easy and nery visually appealing modification you can do to your bronco in a day for free! :blink: I recently removed th factory side molding on my 1995 Bronco XLT nand wow what a difference. The molding on my truck was the white with chrome style and after 17 years it faded and turned an off white/yellowish color and was falling off the driver side. After peeling back the moldong more to see how it was held on by the factory I was suprised. It is just a couple lines of double sided tape. After rmoving the visual abomination that was side molding I was left with a dirt and adhesive nightmare. I washed th area with soap and got all the dirt off and most the adhesive. I finished up with a cotton towell and some 3M rubbing compound and it was gone and never looked better. It took about 45 minutes total and The results were very pleasing. ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Broncobill78

Reaction score
A heat gun will go a long ways toward making jobs like this much easier. It not only softens the trim making it easier to handle but usually more of the adhesive starys on the trim and not on the truck. Another great 3M product for these jobs is their erasing wheel. It works just like a big eraser when you chcuk it up in a cordless drill but you have to be carefull to not spin it too fast so don't use dremel-type tools or air-tools but other than that it'a a great product.

You've got to love the switch to adhesives. My 78/79's were XLT's or Customs so they had the side trim but when you remove it you're stuck with all those mushroom-head studs running the entire length of the truck. The adhesive is just SUCH a better way to go and the adhesive backed trim also has the not insignificant advantage of not only being attached to the truck coutinuously from front to back but it also *seals* the trim to the truck. In the North guys find that the space between the truck & the trim gets filled with dead & rotting leaves and debris, then the salt gets in there each winter and starts eating your truck.

bryan thomas

Reaction score
That doesn't sound to bad because mine is black and chrome and black is fading really badly. Now next two questions. What about the front and rear wheel well chrome mouldings? Are they adhesive as well? And will mine have sun fade because my color is a dark blue purple? I don't want to have dark lines left when all are taken off. Thanks.

Jersey

Reaction score
That doesn't sound to bad because mine is black and chrome and black is fading really badly. Now next two questions. What about the front and rear wheel well chrome mouldings? Are they adhesive as well? And will mine have sun fade because my color is a dark blue purple? I don't want to have dark lines left when all are taken off. Thanks.
I may be wrong, but Im pretty sure the wheel well moldings are screwed on. As far as the fading goes, I can almost garantee that. Dark colors tend to do that no matter how hard you try to keep them up. Thats why I stopped buying black trucks.

OP
OP
B

BB33's

Reaction score
On my 1990 the wheel moldings were screwed on. The ones I took off were glued on white ones. As far as fading my truck is white and I noticed none.

bryan thomas

Reaction score
look at mi pictures. mine don't go around the fold in the metal. they are just like a strip that follows the opening of the wheel well. no screws visible.

BroncoGal1236

Reaction score
Alright. I was asking this guy if he had his parts still that he took off, since they be exactly what I needed. I posted on his thread since I was asking him specifically.
I'm new to forums so I figured it wasn't guaranteed he would see my post, so I posted on his topic hoping he would see it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke