84 Fullsize Top Cutout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84buckin

Reaction score
Has anybody chopped off the front top of their fullsize - a hole too big for a sunroof that I don't want to carry around anyway? I am leaning towards leaving a 6 inch strip with the interior light and putting in a roll cage - mostly cosmetic and safety, because the car is not driven much 4WD except beach.

I am thinking about making a snap on vinyl cover to fill the space - any ideas or experience?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Sounds awesome, it will weaken the cab a bit, but since you are adding a roll cage that shouldn't hurt.

Good luck,

:)>-

Broncobill78

Reaction score
MAN, what a freaking coincidence. I'm doing this mod *right now*. I just dragged poor Billy ******* down to the boneyard to help me score an spare top (the one I had has tinted glass and was just too nice to hack up. I'm keeping it as a "winter" top, as cold as South Fla gets in the winter <grin>) I'll post pics if it will help. We removed the glass at the yard & bought it glassless for $75. I plan to enlarge the side window openings a bit & then hack a roughly 3.5'x5' hole in the top. When all is said & done my plan was to install snaps on the top & have a local shop use the thick clear vinyl used for rear windows in convertables and make something that would essentially cover the sides AND top. Nothing fancy, just something that would install quickly & keep out most of the rain.

A belated & very public THANX to Billy for dragging his Old man's trailer down there so I didn't have to put the extra top on my minivan like some sort of mutant mushroom-mobile.

While I DO plan to install a rollcage (been looking VERY covetously at Roadkill's) I AM going to fiberglass in some rebar or aluminum tubing to reinforce the structure of the top after I hack it all up. The whole thing is slated for a trip to the Local Maaco franchise anyways but between now & then I figured I'd do well to reinforce it aftertaking so much material out of it. I was planning to roughly follow the interior coutour lines on the top ot the top when I chop out my chunk. I'd have done it by now but it's still up on jackstands with the new tranny half bolted in (the torque converter is bolted up but the damn bellhousing shifted & now it's cocked and I'm ****** off)

Last edited by a moderator:

bidibronco

Reaction score
BroncoBill, I think he was talking about the area right above you're head, like in the cab area, not the removable top. But then again, I've been known to be wrong?

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Yup, after rereading it I see that you're right. As SeaBronc said it shouldn't matter with a rollcage. Now this of course assumes that it's not a *bolt-in* roll cage and uses welded feet, better still would be a proper cage that attaches to the frame thru the floor. You could cut out most of the top and then just have a boat shop fab a small canvas top to snap on in bad weather.

mustangpalmer91

Reaction score
84 buckin I was thinking about doin the same hit me back and let me know some of ur ideas pick eachothers brain for the best way

Yardape

Reaction score
Would be cool to take the t tops from an early 80s mustang and fab up the roof to fit. That would be cool

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo