12 replies to this topic

#1 socronaut

socronaut

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:30 PM

I have been searching for a very basic wiring diagram for my 79 bronco. Can someone give me a list of components involved. Reason I ask is I have 3 different diagrams now, one shows the fuse box involved, one doesn't, one involves an engine control module, once doesn't, etc. Can someone please explain what goes to what, please? The ignition switch, what wires go where, to where, etc.? Need help fast as I am going to an offroad event in the next two weeks. I also have a question about the terminal block. What does this look like? I have followed all the diagrams and none seem to match up.

Thanks

Edited by socronaut, 26 December 2007 - 08:49 PM.

#2 78brxltnut

78brxltnut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:36 PM

let me see what the repair manual says

#3 socronaut

socronaut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:50 PM

Also been looking at a Haynes book as well. Do you know of a quick and easy solution?

#4 78brxltnut

78brxltnut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:53 PM

Hey,check out autozone.com click on parts, year,model and find tune up parts click on distributor,look carfully,you will see manuals see if that helps ill read my chilton book

#5 78brxltnut

78brxltnut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

autozone has it ,i just saw everything

#6 78brxltnut

78brxltnut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:11 PM

what type of problem you have? if truck wont start change ignition controll module,

#7 socronaut

socronaut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:39 PM

Well, the guy I bought it from had to rig the wiring to show me that it runs. I did what he did, rigging the wiring to get it started. Well one day I attempted to start it and nothing happened at all. I now have bought new components for the ignition/charging system. The ignition control module, can some tell me what each wire may go to?

#8 Seabronc

Seabronc

Supreme Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6642 posts
  • Interests:YES
  • Favorite Bronco Year?:1983

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:28 AM

Well, the guy I bought it from had to rig the wiring to show me that it runs. I did what he did, rigging the wiring to get it started. Well one day I attempted to start it and nothing happened at all. I now have bought new components for the ignition/charging system. The ignition control module, can some tell me what each wire may go to?

Do you know what type ignition system it is supposed to be? It makes a difference. I believe a stock 79 had the Duraspark ignition but it also came in different versions. Do you have a driver side wheel well mounted ignition module? If so describe the plugs, how many plugs and the color of the wires that go to each plug. If you can take a couple of pictures of your system and post them, that would help also.

If you don't have one, you might want to consider getting a factory ignition system harness, the one that ties the ignition module, distributor and coil together.

Good luck,

:)>-
Fred

Parts replacement is not trouble shooting, replacement follows trouble shooting

Broncos are MPVs not SUVs

Engines run on fuel, or steam

Motors run on electricity, hydraulic fluid, vacuum, or air

Communication: I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I didn't say what I meant.

Some of my pictures at Supermotors http://www.supermotors.net/212

#9 Broncobill78

Broncobill78

Supreme Commander

• Members
  • 1880 posts
  • Interests:78/79 Broncos<br />4 wheeling in the mud w/the family<br />thinking about a small boat for family use<br />Teaching my boys how to fix, repair &amp; rebuild &amp; being proud that my daughter is just as interested.

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:44 PM

I'm not sure if this is entirely what you're looking for but here's the info on your ignition switch. I can't tell you exactly what color wire goes where but if you pull the switch out of the connector you can trace them back individually by matching the position shown here against what color wire is going to *that* position in the connector. I also included a couple pages on the fusable links and a diagram of where they can be found in the charging & ignition circuits. I'll keep flipping thru tha manuals to see if I have anything showing the ignition module and such

Attached Thumbnails

• scan0003.jpg
  • scan0002.jpg
  • scan0001.jpg

Edited by Broncobill78, 29 December 2007 - 03:52 PM.

Dave

People who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

84 Mustang GT (Great car to lose your license with, I recommend it for those trying to do so)
74 Ranchero (429, c6, Currie enterprises 9" w/Mickey Thompson cheater slicks, 1970 Torino shaker hood scoop)
82 Bronco (Canadian truck, kilometer speedo, dual batteries, hi-output heater, dual factory block heaters/etc)
78 Bronco (400, 33" Fun Countries, fastback softtop)
79 Bronco (460, 36" Ground Hawgs, frame-off rebuild)
84 Bronco (bone-stock beater)
73 Bronco (I only had it 2 wks before flipping & crushing it.)
76 F-350 (390, 40" Super Swampers, ugly ugly ugly fire-engine green/yellow cab w/faded purple bed)
78 Bronco (460, 38.5" Ground Hawgs, Dana 60's, boxed frame, frame-off rebuild)
86 Bronco (only truck I've ever had fall thru the ice & just plain disappear. no end of hassles from the ins. co.)
91 Bronco (25th anniversary edition, red w/grey leather everything interior, 31x11.5's)
88 Bronco (33x12.5's)
79 Bronco (Current project, 4" lift w/weenie little pizza cutters)

Looking for 78/79 parts, please let me know if you have one you're parting out.

#10 Seabronc

Seabronc

Supreme Commander

• Moderators
  • 6642 posts
  • Interests:YES
  • Favorite Bronco Year?:1983

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:16 PM

I think Bill is on the track, I missed the fact that it was the ignition switch you were struggling with :duh:

:)>-
Fred

Parts replacement is not trouble shooting, replacement follows trouble shooting

Broncos are MPVs not SUVs

Engines run on fuel, or steam

Motors run on electricity, hydraulic fluid, vacuum, or air

Communication: I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I didn't say what I meant.

Some of my pictures at Supermotors http://www.supermotors.net/212

#11 socronaut

socronaut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:47 PM

Sorry guys. Let me explain where I am now. I have bought everything new. Aftermarket ignition switch (universal), fuse panel, coil, solenoid, wires, etc. Ignition switch is not the problem. Thinking my starter went bad. Brought the starter to Autozone to test and they said it was good. Right now I only have the ignition system wired up and I cannot get fire to the starter. I have been told that it is either the wires are corroded or my starter is bad, even if the tests show that it is good.

#12 Broncobill78

Broncobill78

Supreme Commander

• Members
  • 1880 posts
  • Interests:78/79 Broncos<br />4 wheeling in the mud w/the family<br />thinking about a small boat for family use<br />Teaching my boys how to fix, repair &amp; rebuild &amp; being proud that my daughter is just as interested.

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

Well I don't have anything *that* detailed at the moment, but why bother ? The universal ignition switch you have should have come with a diagram showing what leads are what. Just run yourself a new circuit for the whole thing & bypass what's in the truck now. that's what *I'd* do. If push really comes to shove then contact someone like Ron Francis Wireworks or painless wiring and buy either a whole kit to rewire the truck or just an ignition circuit and be done with it. You can drive yourself crazy trying to track down stuff like this and I just don't think it's worth it when you can run the new wires for it in an afternoon. That's what I'd do at any rate, just bypass the existing harness and fab yourself a new one.
Dave

People who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

84 Mustang GT (Great car to lose your license with, I recommend it for those trying to do so)
74 Ranchero (429, c6, Currie enterprises 9" w/Mickey Thompson cheater slicks, 1970 Torino shaker hood scoop)
82 Bronco (Canadian truck, kilometer speedo, dual batteries, hi-output heater, dual factory block heaters/etc)
78 Bronco (400, 33" Fun Countries, fastback softtop)
79 Bronco (460, 36" Ground Hawgs, frame-off rebuild)
84 Bronco (bone-stock beater)
73 Bronco (I only had it 2 wks before flipping & crushing it.)
76 F-350 (390, 40" Super Swampers, ugly ugly ugly fire-engine green/yellow cab w/faded purple bed)
78 Bronco (460, 38.5" Ground Hawgs, Dana 60's, boxed frame, frame-off rebuild)
86 Bronco (only truck I've ever had fall thru the ice & just plain disappear. no end of hassles from the ins. co.)
91 Bronco (25th anniversary edition, red w/grey leather everything interior, 31x11.5's)
88 Bronco (33x12.5's)
79 Bronco (Current project, 4" lift w/weenie little pizza cutters)

Looking for 78/79 parts, please let me know if you have one you're parting out.

#13 Runnin'OnEmpty

Runnin'OnEmpty

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:52 AM

Sorry guys. Let me explain where I am now. I have bought everything new. Aftermarket ignition switch (universal), fuse panel, coil, solenoid, wires, etc. Ignition switch is not the problem. Thinking my starter went bad. Brought the starter to Autozone to test and they said it was good. Right now I only have the ignition system wired up and I cannot get fire to the starter. I have been told that it is either the wires are corroded or my starter is bad, even if the tests show that it is good.

The starter circuit is very simple, if that's your only problem. You can short across the starter solenoid main terminals to get the starter to engage. If it does, then the starter is good. After that, touch a known 'hot' wire to the 'S' terminal on the starter solenoid. If the starter engages then, all you need to do is run a wire from the ignition switch START terminal to the 'S' terminal on the starter solenoid.

If the Bronco is an automatic, the start wire should go through a neutral start switch on the transmission, but it can be bypassed for testing purposes. In fact, a bad NSS might be the reason your starter won't engage now.....

Edited by Runnin'OnEmpty, 07 January 2008 - 07:13 AM.

78 Bronco Ranger XLT Trailer Special, 351M, 4 sp, FreeWheeling package.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users