4.6 Skipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davesbronco

Reaction score
Got an '03 expecition with a skip in it. Changed Number 8 plug and the skip stopped. But service engine light remains lit up. Reset by removing battery cable when Plug was changed. Is there any chance this could be a vacuum related issue making skip on this certain cylinder? Also is this year model noted for regularly fouling plugs? Or well knownm for coil pack problems? Thanks.

93bronco351

Reaction score
I have a 2000 expeddition with 116,000 miles on it. Last year it had the same problem. I used my own scanner and found #3 cylinder had a miss fire. Only under load. These coil packs are very expensive about $120.00, and they are not returnable. I went thru all the electrical test with a multi-meter a discribe in shop manual. Readings came out with-in ranges called for. Remember only under load!!!. Before I made the purchased I swapped the coil pack to #1 cylinder and the miss fire also move to #1 cylinder. Replaced that coil pack and problem was fixed. Hope this helped.

PS

If your are like me and perform most service work yourself it would be beneficial to purchase a code scanner. I have had mine for about 3 years and it has paid for itself. Most places charge to get codes off computer ($40-120).

Jersey

Reaction score
I can tell you from experience from working in the industry that those coil packs go bad all the time. I keep about 6 of them on the shelf at work as a matter of fact. Keep in mind any moisture in the spark plug tube can short them out also. All the 4.6 and 5.4 litre motors had a problem with coolant leaking from the heater hose onto the #4 coil. Just something to keep an eye out for.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RezBarron