Bumper Tow Rating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Koopa132

Reaction score
Anybody know what the maximum tow rating is for the step bumper on a '92? I don't see anything written on the bumper. Thanks

broncoshell

Reaction score
I WOULD THINK AROUND 300 LB ON TONG WEIGHT... LOOK IN THE GLOVE BOX OR ON THE DRIVER'S DOOR FOR THE TOWING CAP...

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Right, the maximum would be 400 lbs. tongue weight. You could pull a 6000# trailer, but it should be tandem axle and loaded properly. My Bronco pulled our 6500# band trailer for 20 years, and the Bronco is generally not a good tow vehicle due to the short wheelbase.

OP
OP
K

Koopa132

Reaction score
No kidding? 6000lbs on the bumper? Wow! I was only looking to pull my 3500lb single axle boat trailer this weekend until the receiver hitch I ordered shows up next week. It sounds like I'll be fine, I just need to watch the tongue weight. Thanks.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any problems with a small boat. You should get a 10,000 lb frame mounted hitch setup. My F350 came with a frame hitch and I found it was only set up for 5000 lb loads. I had to upgrade to a 10,000 to be leagle pulling my 68 Bronco on my flat bed trailer since I was over 5K. So much for a 1 Ton truck being beefy out of the factory. In an accident you will with you had it espically if you have a drop hitch.

OP
OP
K

Koopa132

Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I had to order a hitch, the ones in stock at my local auto parts store were rated for 5,000lbs without weight distribution or 6,000lbs with weight distribution.

The hitch I ordered is a Reese good for 7,500/12,000lbs, and was only $10 more. This is way more than I would ever pull with my Bronco so I will be in good shape when it arrives.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
The best part about the stronger 10K hitches is you can use them with a winch. Buy one for the front also so you can use a winch front or rear. Most times you need to be winched out backwards when stuck. This is my next modification so I don't have to be pulled out in reverse again. :blush:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke