C6 transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987moneypit

Reaction score
my 1987 bronco (5.0)302 4x4 is slipping in 1st gear between 1700 and 2400 rpm's and then will shift to 2nd. i have changd the filter, modulator,used lucas additive and sea foam. when i changed the fluid out, there was a sludge in the pan(not metal shavings) is there a linkage that i can adjust, or a vacuum besides the modulator? any suggestions will be helpful. thank you

gatorbronco

Reaction score
Sounds to me like a more serious mechanical problem. Had the same type of problem with my AOD and it was a cracked housing and blown torque converter. Granted I did take a turn on two wheels to cause the problem... :-"

OP
OP

1987moneypit

Reaction score
did it cause a leak on the seal where it meets the engine?

mine has a very slow leak, and it drives very sluggish in anything other than 1st.what little bit of 1st that i can use....

thanks for replying.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
C6 Vacuum Modulator Troubleshooting; You have a modulator on the rear of the transmission on the C4 / C5 and the C6 units. The modulator is on the passenger's side of the transmission on the C3. Pull the vacuum line off the mod. If fluid comes out of the vacuum line your modulator is not good.

Source: by usatransdoctor.com

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Components/modulators.asp

C6 Adjustable Vacuum Modulator; The vacuum modulator is a vital component of an automatic transmission. It tells the transmission what kind of load is being put on it allowing the transmission to react with the proper line pressures and shift points. Over time, modulators can develop leaks, get ruptured diaphragms, get bent, etc. Not only can this cause annoying drivability issues, it can lead to premature transmission failure.

Source: by tciauto.com

OP
OP

1987moneypit

Reaction score
yo, I had written a lot in a reply here, but this lousy lap top shut down.....am on road now. so look C6 tech Links page
http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=786
thank you for all of your help. i am going to re-replace a new modulator and see what that does. so do you think that a modulator would effect only 1st gear though? seems kind of strange. i'll see what happpens. thank you again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane