82 Transmission Problems with 83' 351W engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XARiUS

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm a noob obviously. My thread is about switching the automatic transmission on a 82 Bronco EXT . The engine is a 351W from a 83. What transmission will fit to this engine? I'm kinda new with FORD's. I was big in Honda tuning, but I'm tired of the crap that entails that.

The truck I want to buy has auto transmission that slips real bad, but what transmission fits and how much will a tranny usually cost? I'm not worried about the labor, since my dad's friend is a transmission speciallist for a living and he'll charge me cheap if I help him. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

p.s Here is my 87 ranger 4x4 sxt v6 & acura integra, the pos ranger wont ever start! i'm gonna sell that beater first... it needs a distibutor amongst other things.

DSCF0512.JPG

madmax

Reaction score
there are lots of transmissions that will fit, you might want to look for a donor truck for the mechanical clutch linkages, they can be hard to find new. The more common tranmissions to see in them are the borg warner T-18 wich is a four speed non overdrive with a granny low first, the New Process 435 wich is also a 4 speed non overdrive with a granny low first, and the tremec RTS overdrive, not as strong as the other two but it has overdrive. other sticks that will bolt up to the block would be the ZF5-s42 (gasoline version), M5OD-R2 (really weak for a 351W), also the borg warner T5 would fit, but It had trouble surviving in the mustangs, You could also put in the borg warnet T19, wich as far as I know is basically he same as the T18. Some people have also installed New Venture 4500's in bronco's but you'd need to use a dodge clutch disk and an adapter for the transfer case, Or possibly a dodge transfer case however I'm not sure that all the dodge trucks had the front differential on the left side

OP
OP
X

XARiUS

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, i will look in too it. the easiest one to find would the t5 since its so common right? not looking for a uber-race strong transmission, just need something that will get me to work and back + mud play heh.

btw someone buy my damn'd truck! http://tampa.craigslist.org/car/393402870.html :lol:

madmax

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, i will look in too it. the easiest one to find would the t5 since its so common right? not looking for a uber-race strong transmission, just need something that will get me to work and back + mud play heh.
btw someone buy my damn'd truck! http://tampa.craigslist.org/car/393402870.html :lol:

no you'll break the T5 It will fit but you'll be hard pressed not to destroy it, If you want overdrive either go with the Tremec RTS or the M5OD-R2. The Tremec RTS was fairly common and should be harder to break than the AOD which was the only other overdrive option at the time. You might want to check the bone yards for a 250/350 super duty with a 5 speed and a 300I6 or 302/351 V8, that will bolt up to your engine but you'll need to use a pedal setup for the hydraulic clutch, the ZF was only ever setup for hydraulic clutches and the bell housing is built in (stupid stupid stupid) so you can't easily change it.

EDIT: sounds like your ranger might have a dirty fuel filter causing it to lean out when you open the throttle. just a thought it's a 10 minute job and the filter is 15 bucks, also the starter isn't a hard job either, and it will sell more easily if it starts w/o clutch starting it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
If you go with an automatic transmiision, I would get a C-6 from another 80-88 Bronco or 4WD F-150. If looking for a manual tranny, i would stick with the T-18 or NP435, since they're the most common and are direct swaps. I've bought and sold used manual 4-spds. for $200-$300, and $300-$400 for the C-6. JSM84

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar