Diesel swap...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knightster

Reaction score
Hey all! I've caught the diesel sickness but love broncos as well. So my question to you is about a 7.3 Powerstroke swap. I already know it can be done since I've seen "A" picture of one before, but here's my questions on it...

I plan to get 78-79 bronco, I also want a manual transmission. Now I know I'll have to get a different trany and probably a new drive shaft, rear axle, fuel system, exhaust system (goes without saying), run new electrical in places and so on. Now the 78-79 era could fit up to a 460, the 7.3 is a 445 if I'm not mistaken so does that mean I may have to still beef up the front suspension? Is there any other place(s) I could go to and get more information and is there someone here that I could talk to that has done this type of thing before? Thanks!

BTW, I did do a search on this before I posted, but didn't find anything that answered my question directly.

crowebait

Reaction score
the 7.3 powerstroke is very heavy, more than the 460 even, the only tranny i know that will bolt up is the ZF, you can bolt your transfer case to this tranny but you will have to notch the tranny ****** for the 205 shift rod, also this tranny is very tall so you will have to use a body lift to get it under the floor board, there are 3 diff cases in this tranny, small block, big block 385 series, and diesel, you will also need most the wiring and computer out of your donor vehicle for the engine. also you are most likely going to wan to put dana 60 diffs in as the 44 and 9 inch probably won't stand the torque of the power stroke.

good luck

OP
OP
K

Knightster

Reaction score
I know the engine is very heavy but I've seen it in a 79 bronco. So I should probably beef up the front suspension then right? Now where is a good place to get the transmission parts, I'm not too sure how well a donor truck would do.

crowebait

Reaction score
not sure on where to look, but i would try to find a truck you could get the engine, tranny, wiring and computer out of you're gonna need it all

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke