My "new" trail rig - 78 bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I've been searching for a running and driveable trail rig while the build-up of my 84 drags on. Found a 78 Bronco this weekend, checked it out, and made the deal. 351M, NP435, NP 205, Ford 9" w/ spool, 4.88 gears. It had a 3" body lift which the seller removed (thank you, sir), and some 38" Super Swamper tires for rolling stock. Needs a few fixxes, like a new steering shaft, fix the leaky steering box. And a better set of tires like 35's/36's, and she's ready to rock & roll!!! JSM84

78bronco_005.jpg

78bronco_006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Nice Randy, it looks like a truck worthy of a restoration :-" . After you get your 84 back on the road, that is :D/ .

:)>-

Glad you added the pictures, I thought I went blind for a moment :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
While I don't have any plans to restore this one at the moment, it does have a very solid body and frame. Does have a bit of trail rash - missing trim, dented front fender and grille, and some scratches. But I figure on another 6-12 months before the 84 is driveable, and I got the "ITCH" really bad. I couldn't wait to drive the 78 around the farm yesterday after the rains, JSM84

Edit" I did put the doors back on after drilling out the hinge pins for some bolts.

79highrider

Reaction score
While I don't have any plans to restore this one at the moment, it does have a very solid body and frame. Does have a bit of trail rash - missing trim, dented front fender and grille, and some scratches. But I figure on another 6-12 months before the 84 is driveable, and I got the "ITCH" really bad. I couldn't wait to drive the 78 around the farm yesterday after the rains, JSM84
Edit" I did put the doors back on after drilling out the hinge pins for some bolts.
That rig is sweet, very solid find, but why go to smaller tires, you already have great gears for 38's.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll prolly go with whatever tire size I can find from 36-40x12.50. The 38's rub the fenderes pretty good when turning, so I'll need to trim some sheetmetal to fit'em. The tires & wheels in those 2 pics are not what I have on there now, which are completely worn smooth on the rear due to the spool and being driven on the road. And 38's are about the biggest tire I want to wheel with the 1/2-ton axles.

ricks73eb

Reaction score
man in my neck of the woods thats a show truck!! if you want a trail rig i'll lone yea my 77 shorty 150 and you can sell me that bronc > ....... didnt think so.. SSOOOOOOOOO what you pay 4 her????

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
It was $1800, with some extra Bronco parts thrown in the back, like coil springs, bumper, etc. Drove'e around the farm on Sunday. She started right up after sittin' for 2 weeks. Think I'm going to go with some 36" IROK's. 38's cost too darn much, and I'm hoping (more like wishing, maybe) the 36's will be kinder to the axles and u-joints. And I'm gonig to wheel the 84 after it's done, so I'm not too worried about body damage. I just like to look good while wheelin'. My 86 Bronc ois a rust bucket and would make a good trail rig, but I am afraid I'll fall through the floor. It's beyond the point of spending another dime on it to get'er running. I will see if she'll start when I get the chance.

JSM84

89Bronco58

Reaction score
looks like a fun truck for trail, i have a rebuilt steering shaft for that truck, new rag joint and all, i ended up just buying a new one for my truck, i have a few other things you may be able to use also, let me know brotha

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Sent you a PM, let me know what other parts you might have for the 78. I've got a ton of stuff for the 80-96 Bronco, too. And my sister called me tonight about a 79 F-150 for sale for $750. She's e-mailing some pics to look at, but it sounds like a sweet rig. Gonna have to open up a used car lot now!!! JSM84

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
I bought the 79 F-150 for $1K, plus a Skyjacker 9" lift kit that came with it NIB. Posted a few pics at SFO.

79f150b.jpg

89Bronco58

Reaction score
thats sweet man, i got that streering shaft all together, what color do you want it painted, it will also be cleared, im in need of a steering box for my 89, i have some play and its driving me nuts, but thats the original box with almost 200k on it so i cant complain much, also id be interested anything having to do with upgrades for my year truck and motor, i really need roller rockers as well, just list what u have lol

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Bright orange would be easy for me to see on the steering shaft. I don't have alot of "performance" parts from the 88 rigs. I do have the F-350 booster and MC, a good 88 steering shaft, a leaky steering gearbox from the 84 that just needs the lower seal, SkyJ 6" lift radius arm drop brackets, and a buch ofstock parts. PM me your address so i can get that 78/79 shaft from you. I'm picking up some 38" TSL Super swampers tomorrow on 15x8 8-lug steel rims. I'll hace the rims for sale soom, too. JSM84

89Bronco58

Reaction score
78-79 shaft, lol i think we have had a little miscommunication here, the shaft if from my 89 bronco, i thought you knew that and wanted it for your 84 , will it work with the second gen broncos?

89Bronco58

Reaction score
wow that sucks, sorry about that i thought you knew what it was from because i had posted about me changing mine out for a new one, my fault on that one

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srm1313