Product reviews

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Originally sent to me by Trailmule:

"I had an idea. Don't know if it had been brought up before but...

How about setting up a sort of opinions/rate it section for products. It would contain the name of the product, where you bought it, how much, how difficult to install, how it affected the ride/fuel mileage/preformence etc...

For example, if someone bought a 4" lift from RoughCountry, they could tell everybody else about the experince, how hard it was to install, what the ride was like afterwards, any problems they ran in, customer service if relevent... that kinda thing

Maybe the moderators would decide that it would be better to have each person write it up and submit it to them for approval. This way people would be able to read other's opinions of stuff before deciding on one product over another.

Let me know you guys think."

Posted for trailmule by JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

doitnowkid

Reaction score
I had an idea. Don't know if it had been brought up before but...
How about setting up a sort of opinions/rate it section for products. It would contain the name of the product, where you bought it, how much, how difficult to install, how it affected the ride/fuel mileage/preformence etc...

For example, if someone bought a 4" lift from RoughCountry, they could tell everybody else about the experince, how hard it was to install, what the ride was like afterwards, any problems they ran in, customer service if relevent... that kinda thing

Maybe the moderators would decide that it would be better to have each person write it up and submit it to them for approval. This way people would be able to read other's opinions of stuff before deciding on one product over another.

Let me know you guys think.

Posted for trailmule by JSM84

Great idea JSM84! > > >

This would tell us which parts and supliers are dependable and give us an idea on the best pricing.

Where could we enter the information? Do we have to start a new thread for each item or bunch them up?

In another matter, I wrote you a reply in the thread: http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?sho...ic=7206&hl=,

maybe you didn't see it yet. I am still fighting with my fuel pump.

Doitnowkid

trailmule

Reaction score
Hey now! Don't go giving him all the credit - he just posted it for me (for some reason I can't post in this forum)... just kidding :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

But it's up to admin to decide how this could be set up. I'd hate to see it become a free for all and people just put stuff up after having a little tiny issue and blowing it out of proportion. Even if something did go wrong, it should be explained in a clear manner, allowing others to weigh the pros and cons of each product. Also, reviews of suppliers could be helpful as well. Maybe more than one place carries the same item, but Store A has much better customer service/shipping rates etc... than Store B

doitnowkid

Reaction score
Hey now! Don't go giving him all the credit - he just posted it for me (for some reason I can't post in this forum)... just kidding :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
But it's up to admin to decide how this could be set up. I'd hate to see it become a free for all and people just put stuff up after having a little tiny issue and blowing it out of proportion. Even if something did go wrong, it should be explained in a clear manner, allowing others to weigh the pros and cons of each product. Also, reviews of suppliers could be helpful as well. Maybe more than one place carries the same item, but Store A has much better customer service/shipping rates etc... than Store B

Hey Trailmule, /><' />

Seabronc

Reaction score
I sort of agree with Trailmule, if the review is objective that is fine, but some people don't follow instructions and blame the manufacturer for the disaster. That being the case, I think such reviews should be reviewed :-B by a moderator before being posted. Just being negative about a supplier or manufacturer is not a good thing unless you can articulate what the problem was, and what was done in an attempt to resolve the problem. The same goes for resolved problems by outlining what the problem was and what the resolution was.

:)>-

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
I also agree with the "moderator review" part. I've had more problems with shipping companies (that means you, FedEX) than products or vendors, but customer service is a key factor in where I buy parts from. I'll recite an example:. Ordered some parts from RockAuto.com, the Saginaw ps pump and F-350 MC-booster for my Bronco. Great pricing and customer service from Rock Auto, but FedEX couldn't find my house and returned the package after repeated contact between me and the area office. RA fully refunded my money. I re-ordered the parts, and FedEX finally found my house, but the box was in shambles. Makes me want to not order again from RA because they only use FEdEX for my area. But the price difference for the parts between RA and anyone else I checked with is enough to make it worth trying on parts that aren't fragile or easily damaged by shipping it with gorillas. SO, maybe the review should be confined to the parts I ordered, how they fit, any problems, etc. and the quality of customer service from the vendor, this case being RockAuto. My thinking is putting these product/vendor reviews in a sub-forum in the vendors forum. JSM84

trailmule

Reaction score
Exactly. It's not going to help anyone if somebody goes on a rant about a product for no reason. Even if you ran into a problem and the manufacturer/supplier helped make it work/replaced/refunded than that should be noted as well.

So SeaBronc, you're right on. Is there any way to allow posts but not replies? I could see uncalled for replies to some reviews and that won't work either.

(And doitnowkid I was just giving you a hard time :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> No big deal)

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Exactly. It's not going to help anyone if somebody goes on a rant about a product for no reason. Even if you ran into a problem and the manufacturer/supplier helped make it work/replaced/refunded than that should be noted as well.
So SeaBronc, you're right on. Is there any way to allow posts but not replies? I could see uncalled for replies to some reviews and that won't work either.

(And doitnowkid I was just giving you a hard time :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> No big deal)
Yes, the moderators can lock/close a topic after the first post or at anytime. I often do that in the tech articles posts, JSM84

Edit: that reminds me. A link to a tech article or brief write-up of the install would also be good to have for search.

trailmule

Reaction score
Okay good. Like I said, I could see than getting out of hand. Would it be set up like you and I posted this one? Where I send the message to you and you post it? That would work on the reviewing end.... yeah the review should be parts/products/suppliers. Good idea about the link to tech write ups.. That could be helpful as well.

That is unfortunate about FedEx... I had a similar issue once with UPS.. oh well what can you do

btw - did anyone figure out why I can't post new topic here?

trailmule

Reaction score
I thought of something else. Is there anyway to further subdivide the forum so it's not just by date? Maybe put similar reviews together like lift kits, tires, engine, exhaust - that sort of thing...

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Only problem I see with sending a message/PM to a mod for review or posting is that the original author doesn't get credit for the post. This thread is a good example of just that thing. I would also prefer the author of the post to decide if he/she wants to allow comments and questions. If there is any issue with content, the mods can decide whether to allow or edit that post, or hide it from the regular members for a short time while the thread is being reviewed by the mods. JSM84

Seabronc

Reaction score
Okay good. Like I said, I could see than getting out of hand. Would it be set up like you and I posted this one? Where I send the message to you and you post it? That would work on the reviewing end.... yeah the review should be parts/products/suppliers. Good idea about the link to tech write ups.. That could be helpful as well.

That is unfortunate about FedEx... I had a similar issue once with UPS.. oh well what can you do

btw - did anyone figure out why I can't post new topic here?
While we are informally reviewing shippers, I recently sent a package to a guy in Anchorage Alaska via the USPS Parcel Post system. It got to Seattle in 3 days and took another 2 weeks to get to Anchorage. I guess they walk up the AlCAN with stuff sent via Parcel Post, so much for their stated 3 to 9 days :unsure: .

:)>-

trailmule

Reaction score
SeaBronc - Geez that took awhile! Hopefully he wasn't in a hurry to get his package!

JSM84 - I like you idea of letting people decide if they want people's opinions and such. That way you (the moderators) can decide what stays....

Any ideas on the sections (lifts, tires , exhaust etc...)?

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
I suppose we could have a thread devoted to a particular part or mod, like suspension lift kits. Think that would be easier to handle than several forum sub-sections. I'd like to get some import from the other moderators, as well as admin. on how to get your idea rollin'. JSM84

trailmule

Reaction score
Awesome! I'm glad you guys liked the idea. And I think once it's up and running it will be helpful to a lot of people, not just the new one....

Roadkill

Reaction score
I'm coming into the conversation kind of late, but I have an idea for you if it is possible. Places like MySpace can be set up so that when you post a comment, it must be approved before it appears to the general public. If that option is available through IPB, there could be a "pinned" topic for each subjected area like lifts, tires, softtops, etc. By adding the approval step, irelevant or inapropriate comments can be screened out. Down side, is that it could become a burden to the MODs if people start trying to post lots of questions and other stuff in those topics. As long as users keep the questions in the other forums and just refer back to the review, I think that could work. Of couse all that is mute point if the option to review individual posts in a topic is not available.

However you guys decide to go with it, I think its a great idea. When I search for reviews on products, lots of times I can only find review for the product used on a Jeep or other vehicle. It would be great to have a place where I could read reviews of products by someone who has actually put it on a Bronco.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Been pondering some on the product reviews. I'm thinking that "high usage" items such as lift kits, softtops, tires, and engine mods would be easier to manage in one thread, as well as for comparison. Something unique like a rollcage or electric fan might have a regular thread in the forum specific for that year model. Still waiting to hear from other moderators and admin on the whole idea, as well as suggestions from any of the members. JSM84

muladesigns1

Reaction score
Been pondering some on the product reviews. I'm thinking that "high usage" items such as lift kits, softtops, tires, and engine mods would be easier to manage in one thread, as well as for comparison. Something unique like a rollcage or electric fan might have a regular thread in the forum specific for that year model. Still waiting to hear from other moderators and admin on the whole idea, as well as suggestions from any of the members. JSM84
I think the manufacturers should give me the parts to test on my rig and i will be honest about how the install went and how i like the product!

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
I think the manufacturers should give me the parts to test on my rig and i will be honest about how the install went and how i like the product!
Try that approach, and see how many takers you get for "sponsorship". It never hurts to ask (well, maybe your pride/ego a tad) and you just might get results from a new product/vendor. I've been trying for 20+years, and only once got a small discount on my Skyjacker 6" lift kit. It was still worth it, that's why I have a big SkyJ sticker on my windshield. Some of the mfg's/vendors do have websites where you can post a link to your install of their product. One example is the Tuffy Security console I installed in my 84 Bronco. So, that may be an angle to get free/discounted merchandise, and write a good article in the process. JSM84

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke