Automatic W/Overdrive for 460

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eazrider

Reaction score
I am looking at dropping a 460 into a '79 Bronco. would like to go with an autotranny, but would like O/D for some sort of fuel economy. has anyone done this, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel? Will I have to go with a newer computer controlled tranny? If so, what's the scoop?

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Yes, you'll be able to use the E4OD that came behind a 460, but it will be a chore to keep the computer working. I would recommend using the C-6 instead. It doesn't have overdrive, but is less prone to failure than the E4OD and cheaper to rebuld/ replace.

89Bronco58

Reaction score
a 460 is gonna make some good power, your gonna need a c6 to stand up to its torque, plus the c6 is a stronger tranny anyway, if you must have OD, id go to an offroad tranny place and buy a special build OD trans that handles more power

crowebait

Reaction score
i've also been checking out puting an automatic over drive in my 78, the E4OD is the one i'm looking at, there are a couple diff aftermarket computers you can get to shift the tranny, compushift is one and baumann makes another, if you go through with the E4OD let me know how it works

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar