Speedo Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudd_Slinger

Reaction score
Hey everyone I recently got my 1992 Ford Bronco XLT 4x4 with the 302. Its runs great so far havnt had anything unexpected. But I was wondering if you guys could tell me all my specs. It has an automatic trans which i heard was a C40D correct? And I know the axles ya ta ya ta. My main question I wanted to ask was my speedometer varys from 10-25mph off when I am driving and I need to fix this so i was wondering if my transmission has a speedo gear or chain or both or something of that nature. Because I need to fix this problem ASAP. Also, my oil pressure guage is funky, if i make a realitively sudden stop or tap the brakes where the nose goes down, or go around turns the guage will do dead low, even lower than it is with the truck off. My oil levels are fine and it runs fine. When i am driving straight it normally stays dead middle in normal. another thing lol, my tach? It doesnt seem to be working properly because it wont go below about 2100RPMs and even if you rev it hard itll go to about 3000 and thats it, when im driving ive had it go to 4 because i floored it once to let it run. I know it idles high so i was gonna try to figure out how to idle it down on Fuel Injection maybe you guys could help me. Thanks for the long read, I mostly wanted help with my gauge problems and my tranny identification. Becuase I called ford and they said they dont have the parts to recalibrate it so I gota fix this somehow. Thanks for all the help!

-Joey

Seabronc

Reaction score
1. transmission C40D correct?

2. my speedometer varys from 10-25mph off when I am driving and I need to fix this so i was wondering if my transmission has a speedo gear.

3. Also, my oil pressure guage is funky. My oil levels are fine and it runs fine.

4. My tach? It doesnt seem to be working properly because it wont go below about 2100RPMs
1. Probably, check the code on the sticker that is located on the driver side rear door post. It should have a transmission code listed. Also you can get a complete buildsheet from Ford by going to this link and filling in the form https://www.customersaskford.com/Kate/KanaF...SourceSite=Ford

2. How is the shifting and cruise control? You may have a flaky connector or DSS (Diferential Speed Sensor) problem. Pull the connector and reseat it. You will find it on the differential. Possible grounding problem.

3. Could be the sender unit or connection.

4. possible grounding problem with the Tach circuit.

OP
OP
M

Mudd_Slinger

Reaction score
Hey I added you to yahoo hoping to get intouch? About the questions you asked me...my cruise does work, but only On/Off /Set nothing else works? But it shifts fine...either way in the tranny when I am driving like from dead stop and ake off it has some power but then it feels like it shifts from 1-3 and dogs it out kind of? On the tach, where is the ground or whatever? Another, where is the DSS? located on the diff.. Thanks..oh and if I never see you on yahoo i wanted to post another topic about push button 4x4....Say I am about 30 miles from my house and I am muddin with some buddies and whatnot in 4wd...ok, well I what happens if it gets STUCK in 4wd with pushbutton....I think it happend to me today but I am not 100% sure? If thats the case what the heck do I do if i am 30 miles from my house. And im sure this is super newbie but I want to ask..with 4x4, in 2wd will the front shaft be spinning always? Or no only in 4wd engaged. Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23