Exhaust system replacement 88 small block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tn88bronco

Reaction score
What is the best system to replace the exhaust headers and everything else associated with exhaust. I really would like to keep the noise @ the same level

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have headers now? Or do you have the factory manifolds?

Want something budget friendly? Or want it to last forever?

Motech

Reaction score
If you are not concerned about emissions, a set of full-length headers with crossover dual exhaust and some large replacement mufflers for an old, say, 1972 Lincoln Mark IV 460 will keep you quiet and net you another 10-12 HP. Big time torque increase if you can afford a set of Tri-Y headers.

Don't even bother with shorty headers. They are purely cosmetic and deliver no bang for the buck.

Motech

Reaction score
And hey, wow, been here nine years now and this is your first post? Good to read you friend!

OP
OP
T

tn88bronco

Reaction score
Do you have headers now? Or do you have the factory manifolds?

Want something budget friendly? Or want it to last forever?
Factory manifolds which are both cracked. I ordered the Bronco when I got my first job, plan to keep it, so I would like to get 15-20 more years out of replacements

OP
OP
T

tn88bronco

Reaction score
And hey, wow, been here nine years now and this is your first post? Good to read you friend!
Motech, I can usually find what I'm looking for on the forum if I do a little digging, guess I got lazy this time, lol

OP
OP
T

tn88bronco

Reaction score
If you are not concerned about emissions, a set of full-length headers with crossover dual exhaust and some large replacement mufflers for an old, say, 1972 Lincoln Mark IV 460 will keep you quiet and net you another 10-12 HP. Big time torque increase if you can afford a set of Tri-Y headers.

Don't even bother with shorty headers. They are purely cosmetic and deliver no bang for the buck.
Thank you

Motech

Reaction score
These are your basic, tuned-length long tube headers for small block ford. Uncomfortable to look at due to the funky bends and turns needed to equalize length of each tube before joining 4 into one collector, they are excellent for top-end gains, typically up to as much as 20 HP by themselves, and they sound amazing with a quiet mufflers. Add the right performance camshaft to the mix and more than double that power gain with a tinkity-tink symphony of mechanical ear therapy that bests even a Ducati dry clutch.
These are what you'd put on your 5.0 Windsor in a light car to get that mill screaming.
Ceramic coated, full-length tuned headers like this will set you back &450.00 to $650.00 depending on brand and precision quality.

1661911955750.png

These ceramic coated are tri-y headers by the man of all things Ford exhaust, Doug Thorley. Excellent quality, best you can get without dropping over $2K, they're still pretty up there. Typically around $1200.00, you can find them as low as $800.00, and worth every buck. They don't need much cam, will not push your powerband up at high revs, but instead increase your throttle response and ****** (Edit: T.H.rust is unacceptable? Man, you mods must have a lot of interesting experience) by enhancing peak torque, usually between 3500 and 4200 RPM. Basically where your foot keeps coming back to every drive.
They're called tri-y because they are basically three conjoined y-pipes: a pair of two into one staggered off the engine, then the two large primaries into one secondary pipe (basically the collector). I don't know the science of them aside from they pair up cylinders by matching the firing order, and they often produce amazing, real-world torque increases right in the meat of daily romps. They seem to do very well for smaller CID engines in larger, heavier vehicles. Like 5.0 liter in a full-size Bronco for instance, or 7.5 liter in a 36' RV.
Unless you're building an arena monster truck, you want this type of header.

1661915548476.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23