1990 Fullsize 9" rear end conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaximusBronk

Reaction score
I am near completion of the EFI to Carb conversion on my 1990 Fullsize Eddie Bauer.  So next planned step is to replace the stock 8.8" rear end with a stronger Ford 9".  I have always feared that the higher HP/Torque engine I have been running will put too much stress on the rear end with the way that I drive it.  I think I have been lucky so far.  But with the upcoming replacement of the 351 block with a 427 stroker block, I think the time is now to upgrade the rear end to handle the torque that will accompany the stroker block before it is installed.

I am pretty sure there may be multiple postings on a conversion of this nature.  May I ask one of the moderators to direct me to any prior postings that have converted from 8.8" to 9" in the 1990 year model (or equivalent).  Or any advice on whether I should even do so?  I would think that the 8.8" would have it's limitations when nearly doubling the torque.

Thanks in advance,

Rod

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Rod,

Currie 9 inch installation pics in a 90 Bronco by SeattleFSB

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20487/73912-4

He wrote elsewhere, "...The Ford 9" can be made very strong delivering a lighter weight axle having higher ground clearance and good on-road manners. Currie states that the 9" would be better for high speed off-road and jumping, such as seen in Desert Racing.

Regarding the VSS, I have a 1990 with a mechanical speedometer which only requires the differential VSS for RABS, which I eliminated. I did consider the Brea Auto Electric Transfer Case Yoke Mounted Speed Sensor, but after consulting with them I could not be assured that the signal works with RABS.

On a side note, I did consider a High Pinion Third Member but Currie claims a 20% loss in gearset strength due to the reverse rotation design, as they are intended for front axle use. Not that people do not use them in the rear, just with a significant loss of gearset strength. To reinforce this point, Currie recommends that only tires up 35" be used when installing a High Pinion in the rear.

I have concluded that a 9" rear end would fulfill my needs and that I could make a 9" nearly as strong as a D60 or 14 Bolt. The personal question is cost vs need. Admittedly, my needs have been met, but at a cost. At the same time, I have been having fun with this build and I think this Currie 9" may be stronger than I will ever require. With the Nodular Case, V-Welded Tubes and Full Back Brace, there should be minimal deflection. And the 9+ Race Third Member components should be as strong as you can get, not to mention the Performance 35 Spline Axles which are 1541 Alloy, 1.5" diameter, 400% stronger than stock and rated up to 1200 HP.

BTW, my driveshaft fit just fine. The Currie has 1350 Yoke so I used a Hybrid 1350/1330 U-Joint to complete the connection..."

"...Brea Speed Sensor Re-locator Location pics in a 90 Currie 9 inch; "Brea Speed Sensor Reluctor Disc is mounted around the vehicle's transfer case yoke which connects to the driveshaft, paired with a magnetic sensor that is bracketed in place using one of the stock transfer case bolts. The OEM magnetic speed sensor is utilized and attached off the transmission using owner supplied hardware or optional custom BAE bracket. You cannot use any Brea Reluctor as the magnets are spaced and calibrated for your specific differential gear ratio and tire size. I did not install the Brea Speed Sensor due to them telling me it was designed for 1992+ PSOM vehicles and that they have not tested, nor could they guaranty, if it would send a proper AC Frequency Wave for my 1990 RABS. So I removed the RABS. I believe that the Brea Reluctor will work with the 1987-1991 Bronco RABS as the rear differential sensor is the same as the 1992+ sensor. That would obviously lead me to believe that the AC Frequency Wave is the same as well. was initially going to try it but after considering the cost and complexity of my new 9" Rear End and Electric Boost Brakes, and the limited performance of RABS as opposed to 4-Wheel ABS, I opted not to "experiment" for the benefit of BAE..."

Source: by SeattleFSB (Seattle FSB)

brea-speed-sensor2.jpg

GL!

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23