numbers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ladybronco

Reaction score
like i have said before ive worked on lots of cars but never a truck and never a rear end or anything i have numbers like crazy and have no idea what the mean or what they are for ! for example on my rear end i have several sets of numbers:s814p 5 5 88 8f21 is a on a tag and then in a different spot it has e7tw-4025-ba and then also the numbers 8138??? then on my transfer case there is a big sticker with 7pa and a tag with the numbers f068 3 1356-17 113493 e7ta-pa?? [-o< id just like to know what rear end i have if its a dana 44 or what my gear ratio means to me like i said im new to this so any info would be nice!

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Welcome to Bronco Zone!!! On the rear axle tag, the second line, "55 8 8..." means you have a Ford 8.8" axle with a 3.55:1 gear ratio. (the 3 is covered by the bolt holding the tag to the rear cover). This is an "open" differential, meaning it is not factory-equipped with a limited slip or Trac=Lok. An "L" would show before the "55" if it were. The other numbers are "Bill of Material" numbers, which are used mainly for when you order parts like axle bearings, gears, etc.

The transfer case is a Borg-Warner 13-56, it should look like it has a bunch of ribs or vanes on the outside of the case. THere is a manual-shift version, as well as a pushbutton or electric-shift version of this model.

If you include the year model, engine size and transmission type (manual or auto) in a post, it also helps to narrow down the possible parts listing or the item you have trouble with. IF you don't know those, look at the sticker in the door jamb on the driver's side. It will list the axle and tranny codes. The engine code is the 8th character in your VIN#, located at the front, driver's-side of the dash when seen from outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
L

ladybronco

Reaction score
thank you very much but unfortunantly the numbers on the sticker are very warn off the most i can see is color the axle size 19 and stuff about the tires~its an 88 ford bronco with a 302 automatic transmission and electric button 4 wheel drive if thats any good!

Welcome to Bronco Zone!!! On the rear axle tag, the second line, "55 8 8..." means you have a Ford 8.8" axle with a 3.55:1 gear ratio. (the 3 is covered by the bolt holding the tag to the rear cover). This is an "open" differential, meaning it is not factory-equipped with a limited slip or Trac=Lok. An "L" would show before the "55" if it were. The other numbers are "Bill of Material" numbers, which are used mainly for when you order parts like axle bearings, gears, etc.
The transfer case is a Borg-Warner 13-56, it should look like it has a bunch of ribs or vanes on the outside of the case. THere is a manual-shift version, as well as a pushbutton or electric-shift version of this model.

If you include the year model, engine size and transmission type (manual or auto) in a post, it also helps to narrow down the possible parts listing or the item you have trouble with. IF you don't know those, look at the sticker in the door jamb on the driver's side. It will list the axle and tranny codes. The engine code is the 8th character in your VIN#, located at the front, driver's-side of the dash when seen from outside.

16486[/snapback]

Justshootme84

Reaction score
The axle code "19" or "I9" confirms the 3.55 Ford 8.8" w/o L/S. Does your transmission have overdrive? If not, it's a C-6 (very strong). If it does have OD, could be an AOD or E4OD. IF the code is unreadable, you can look at the pan bolt pattern and tell that way. The AOd is squarish, the E4OD has a notch in one corner like a C-6. And you do indeed have a B-W 13-56 transfer case.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Yes, the E4OD is basically a C-6 design with overdrive and computer-ciontrolled shifting.

19BigEddie89

Reaction score
does that gear identification work for the front axle too?

mine is 354(upside down triangle)E8TA

(upside down triangle)610310-2 sc

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wdtdls