95 harsh shifting, What to Do next??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRose_89

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have searched this site as well as FullsizeBronco.com and I could not find anyone else with the same problems as me. So here it is my E4OD in my 95 Bronco shifts really hard, in all gears up shift and downshift (limp-mode), and the OD light blinks. I am getting the code 452 from the ECU and have replaced nearly everything from the VSS X2, Rear-end, TPS and nothing is fixing the problem. I have also pulled the codes in the ABS system. Here they are 33 (VSS) 63 pump on not triggered, 67 pump triggered not on. The Abs light also does not come on at start up nor while driving. So I was at first thinking it was this system. However I have tested the ABS by jumping the wires in the harness, and I am still having the same problems while the jumper wires are hooked up.

If it makes a difference 4X4 low will not engage and my speedometer still works. No jumping or needle waving during driving. Sometimes taking the VSS out and cleaning it will fix the problem for a few miles. Please any suggestions on what to do next

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
have you checked to make sure that where the vss attachs to the tranny that there is no dirt or anything else tha may cause a bad connection at the tranny?

if that appears to be in order i would almost suspect with the over drive light flashing that someone replaced the original tranny with a tranny that isn't the E4OD.

OP
OP
JRose_89

JRose_89

Reaction score
have you checked to make sure that where the vss attachs to the tranny that there is no dirt or anything else tha may cause a bad connection at the tranny?
if that appears to be in order i would almost suspect with the over drive light flashing that someone replaced the original tranny with a tranny that isn't the E4OD.
I thought on my year that the VSS was on the Rear-End. I can't find anything on the Tranny. I am pretty sure that this is an E4OD, but I could be wrong.

Would a bad Seedo cause this? This is about the only thing left to check.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
JRose, you replaced the VSS twice? as well as the 8.8?

Since the speedometer( PSOM) "still works. No jumping or needle waving during driving"; is it working right ALL the Time?

Any 8.8 tone ring, VSS sensor. connector, wiring prob, etc. along the path should cause that PSOM to waver or quit as well as shown in this wiring diagram by Steve83

since you wrote;

"....Sometimes taking the VSS out and cleaning it will fix the problem for a few miles..."

(I'll iggie that the PSOM is working properly all the time for this);

Check that VSS (also ref to as the ABS Sensor, DSS, etc.) Connector for corrosion/damage. wire strand corrosion (it happens back there) HIGH RESISTANCE. If good, then ck Continuity back thru to the ABS Control Module...Did you do this, as you wrote "... have tested the ABS by jumping the wires in the harness, and I am still having the same problems while the jumper wires are hooked up..."? And exactly how Steve describes it below?

Also; "Rear axle sensor should read 800-1400 Ohms across the pins, and more than 10 Ohms from the metal shell to either pin "

by Steve83 - see below

Speed Input Signal Test in 93-96; "...NOTE: Only wiring harness end of connector is to be probed. * Connect Rotunda Digital Volt-Ohmmeter 014-00407 or equivalent to Pin 4 (speed in ) and Pin 5 (speed in -). * Does the voltage increase smoothly and continuously from 0 to approximately 3.5 volts as vehicle speed increases from 0 to 48 km/h (0 to 30 mph)? OR: If available, a frequency counter may be connected to Pin 4 (Speed in ) and Pin 5 (Speed in -). Does the displayed frequency of the signal increase smoothly and continuously from 0 to approximately 667 Hz at approximately 48 km/h (30 mph)? OR: * If neither a voltmeter nor frequency counter is available, vehicle speed control may be used as a good indicator. If it works normally, then the speedometer module is at least receiving a speed input signal and the wiring and sensor can be assumed to be good. Rear axle sensor should read 800-1400 Ohms across the pins, and more than 10 Ohms from the metal shell to either pin. To bypass the 4WABS module & feed the ABS signal directly to the PSOM, jumper LG/Bk to LG/Y, and R/Pk to O/LB..."

Source: by Steve83

---

If PSOM is working corr. ALL the time; then ck

DTC 452 Erratic Harsh Shift; Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 on 94-95 Bronco & Trucks

Source: by Ford via Steve83

And;

connectors 202 & 185

See CKT 679 GY/BK to PCM from PSOM in Steve's wiring diagram (above)

have to find where connector 202 & 185 are Jem270 has a diagram showing it on driver's side, eng compartment area, in a 92 which should be similar

------Would a bad Seedo cause this?

Not since it is operating correctly; but a bad connection @ PSOM Connector And/ or in the 679 harness there to the PCM (and it branches to the Cruise Control CKT)

----

4WABS Codes

33 Rear Axle Speed Sensor Diagnosis

Possible Source(s):

Poor connection at vehicle speed sensor.

� Terminal damage or backout in anti-lock brake electronic control module connector Pins 21 or 22.

� Terminal damage or backout in two-pin sensor connector.

� Open or shorted vehicle speed sensor coil.

� Open or shorted Circuit 518 (LG/R) or 519 (LG/BK).

� Improper vehicle speed sensor cable routing leading to above.

� Defective vehicle speed sensor electrical test circuit in anti-lock brake electronic control module. Note: some vehicles were built using Circuit 523 (R/PK) in place of 518 (LG/R).

63 Pump Motor Triggered but Did Not Run

Possible Source(s):

� Damaged pump motor.

� Terminal backout in anti-lock brake electronic control module harness connector Pins 17, 29, 37 and 38.

� Open or shorted pump motor relay coil.

� Open contacts in pump motor relay.

� Terminal backout in pump motor 4-way, Pins 1, 2, 3 or 4.

67 Pump Motor Running but Not Triggered

Possible Source(s):

� Damaged trigger circuit in anti-lock brake electronic control module.

� Terminal backout in anti-lock brake electronic control module harness connector Pins 2 and 3.

� Welded relay contacts.

� Short to ground in Circuit 539 (PK/LB).

by Ford via Steve83

----------

EDIT; the EVTM/PCED I got from Steve83 a few yrs ago will help but I'm away again.

I'm sure he'll help ya out when he has time!

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
wow. I didn't include this;

Suggest you buy a Ford Bronco Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM/PCED-Powertrain Controls and Emission Diagnosis Manual) CD or DVD from Steve83

OP
OP
JRose_89

JRose_89

Reaction score
"Is it working right ALL the Time?" Yes the speedo works even when the problems are happening.

Also, yes I did the ABS test exactly as

50joe

Reaction score
Found an old TSB about the harsh shift up and down, and the 452 code. Says the attaching screws for the far rear left scuff plate may be pinching or chaffing the wiring harness. I'm assuming they are either talking about the side panel under where the top bolts down, or the ***** plastic cover holding the carpet down. If your's is anything like all the ones i have seen, none of the screws are where they were originally, and could be a good place to start. Found three screws sticking into the harness in various spots when I bought mine, so you never know.

OP
OP
JRose_89

JRose_89

Reaction score
Found an old TSB about the harsh shift up and down, and the 452 code. Says the attaching screws for the far rear left scuff plate may be pinching or chaffing the wiring harness. I'm assuming they are either talking about the side panel under where the top bolts down, or the ***** plastic cover holding the carpet down. If your's is anything like all the ones i have seen, none of the screws are where they were originally, and could be a good place to start. Found three screws sticking into the harness in various spots when I bought mine, so you never know.
Ok well I test the other sensor and it is way out of wack 1855Ohms. So this has to be the problem. Tomorrow I will replace it with a new one from the ford dealer!!!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
ok, GL!

Can't beat the Motorcraft parts Quality! Of course, Ford doesn't actually mfgr all MC parts, so OEM is the way to go too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar