The Snorkel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yardape

Reaction score
Ive been shut down by water so many times its not even funny. Now I cringe at small puddles worried I will get hydrolocked. Logically I would think your power would suffer a bit. I am trying to come up with an idea for a hidden snorkel that I can hook up and disconnect very easily. I have a few ideas rolling around in my head. I will post it when I finally decide which way to go. If you are doing deep water crossing a snorkel is a good idea. sux to get an hour or so into a trail and have to turn back because of a stupid puddle.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I built a snorkel and put it on mine.

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?s=&...ost&p=75883

The intake on my air intake started out as a 1.5 inch by 6 inch opening, which is approx 9 square inches. It expands to a 4 inch hose, which is approx 12 square inches.

I was wondering if a 3 in pipe would give sufficient air (that would be approx 7.1 square inches).

The two intake hoses are 2 inches in diameter giving 3 square inches each, for a total of six square inches.

I figured that flow would be most restricted at the two inch intack hoses that go to the throttle body, and that a 3 inch pipe feed would be sufficient.

I have not noticed any loss of power. I think that if there is a loss, it is imperceptible, and that one would have to test it on a dyno to be sure.

shift1313

Reaction score
if you plan to go into water deep enough to need a snorkel you have a lot of other work cut out for you. You need to seal everything and make sure all your electrical connectors and devices are up to the task. if it gets up to your rockers it going to come right into the cab plus all the grommets/holes on your firewall etc. With mud i dont really think its an issue. if you are in mud over your hood you probably arent going anywhere :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Ive gone into water that came up to the rockers and when you went into the water it came up to the hood with no issues. There is an intake line in the grill that you should probably reroute but other than looks i dont know that you would need it, especially on a truck with 35s and a 6" lift like your talking.

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
just out of curiousity what keeps rain from pouring down your snorkel and directly into your intake? i just saw a jeep on the highway with a snorkel and its pouring rain right now and it just looks like a big funnel on this truck directly into the intake.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
just out of curiousity what keeps rain from pouring down your snorkel and directly into your intake? i just saw a jeep on the highway with a snorkel and its pouring rain right now and it just looks like a big funnel on this truck directly into the intake.
Nothing much. Humvees use a "pre-filter box" @ tp to keep most water out, but is largely used to stop large particles such as birds and body parts from clogging da air filter.

Snorkels should have a bend at top

here is a Hummer snorkel top

http://www.predatoreurope.com/eng/item/H1-EXT-156.html

or Better yet;

http://www.sy-klone.com/series_9000.htm

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
those links look alot better than the one i saw today. i dont think i would ever need one because water doesent get that deep around here but i've always been curious about them. if this pic works right its more like the one i saw today. it looks like a big funnel at the top sucking rain and debris of all kinds in.

jeep_snorkel_front.jpg

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
jsome,

Those snorkels supposedly have a method of directing water out of them.

I painted an extra elbow black and put it on top of mine whenever it looks like it will rain. If I want ram air... I point it forward. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Otherwise it usually rides on the front passenger floor.

post-9476-1211907922_thumb.jpg

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?s=&...ost&p=76208

Last edited by a moderator:

shift1313

Reaction score
that small of an opening it would have to really be pouring out to get any decent amount of rain in a snorkel. now one facing forward in a storm going 50mph is a different story.

usually under the hood you will still have an airbox and the snorkel line will enter the bottom. this way if water does get in your filter wont be swimming.

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
i like that one of joe's haha that'd be somethin i'd do if i had a need for one. i figured there was some way to keep rain out. i'd just never seen one up close before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22