pitman arm seal for steering gear box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the seal in the steering box for the section shaft that goes to the pitman arm?

Can it be done with the box in the vehicle?

Are there any tricks or things to watch out for?

Mine is leaking like a sieve. I pulled the pitman arm... used a puller, then some heat, and a hammer, and finally a pickle fork with the puller still attached!

Hehehe... came right off :rolleyes:

I have to wait until monday for the part(s) to come in.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the seal in the steering box for the section shaft that goes to the pitman arm?Can it be done with the box in the vehicle?

Are there any tricks or things to watch out for?

Mine is leaking like a sieve. I pulled the pitman arm... used a puller, then some heat, and a hammer, and finally a pickle fork with the puller still attached!

Hehehe... came right off :rolleyes:

I have to wait until monday for the part(s) to come in.
yo Joe!

Re-Seal in a 92 Source: by Richard C

Is this the area? Ric did it w/box out.

Rebuild in an 88 Source: by Reptillikus

Steering Box, Lower Shaft Seal Kit Install in an 86 by Aikidoka

OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Miesk5,

Thanks once again! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm gonna try to do this one but with it in the vehicle.

Steering Box, Lower Shaft Seal Kit Install in an 86 by Aikidoka

Should be simple enough two bolts, a snap ring clip and three seals.

A six dollar repair kit... $40 in tools. I guess that's about right..?

I can't really say that a good quality pitman arm puller was on the top of my wish list, but what the hey?

I am a little concerned that with my luck I would develop a leak at the fliud connectors, if I pull the unit, so IF I can do it in the truck, I won't have to fool with them.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yw Joe and GL!

btw,

Tools...lol...I'm an old fool from.. well ya know what I mean.

I have a nice selection incl some from my grandfather and father farms in Maine and Mass....some Model A wrenches, etc.

Maybe I can use em again someday?

Also, will be away off and on again... so any new issues that may come up for you, look in my site, ok?

we're delaying additions and changes for a short bit there while we xfer all to a new host & proggie language. Curr

ent Host is killing us with unannounced changes that causes us extreme grief.

be well!

OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I broke the tips on two pair of ring clip pliers, and finally got the spring clip off with a pair of long reach bent nose needle nose pliers that I customized by grinding the tips, and cutting off half of one of the handles so that I could position it properly to get at it. If I find my camera, I'll post a pic.

CustomSnapRingPlyer.jpg

To finish removing the seals, I put the pitman arm nut back on a few threads, tied a plastic bag around the shaft, (to catch the pump oil that was about to come out) and started the engine. I then turned the wheel a little to the left and right, and turned her off. The pump pressure pushed the seals right out.

When I replaced the new seals, I used a 34mm socket and a pry bar to push them in. Put the ring clip in reinstalled the pitman arm etc. I topped off the fluid in the power steering pump.

The problem is... I started her up, it was real quiet, but to turn the wheel takes effort as though there is no power steering.

Could I have set the seals too far in?

Does the steering pump need to be bled? Will it self bleed? How does one bleed one if necessary?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

joe

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Joe,

Do you think there are scratches in da bore?

and it may be bec. the seal was driven in too far... drive in just enuf for snap ring to be placed.

Fluid:

Ford power steering is "self-bleeding" ... turn the wheel lock-to-lock several times to expel air. Check for leaks; top-off fluid

was da adjusting nut moved or removed? then;

Pre-load Adjustment, All Bronco & Ford, mid-70s to 00 Source: by Steve83

Troubleshooting & Repairs, All Bronco & Ford, mid-70s to 96 for Bronco & for trucks

Heavy Steering Efforts, Poor assist (both directions)

Possible Source(s):

* Low steering system fluid fill.

Action(s) to Take:

* Add steering fluid to proper level.

Possible Source(s):

* Engine idle too low.

Action(s) to Take:

* Set engine idle to specification.

Possible Source(s):

* Low power steering pump belt tension.

Action(s) to Take:

* Check belt tension and set to specification.

Possible Source(s):

* Pump flow/relief pressure not to specification.

Action(s) to Take:

* Test pump and service as necessary.

Possible Source(s):

* External leakage resulting in low fluid level.

Action(s) to Take:

* Refer to Ford Power Steering Gear Leak Inspection for external leak diagnosis.

Possible Source(s):

* Piston Teflon

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Joe,

of course I didn't bother to add anythAng bout da belt bec. I know you know that stuff. & that Troubleshooting & Repairs stuuf is long and includes way too much, but as you implied, have to ck fluid level 1st; then the rest is a pia to you...

OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Joe,of course I didn't bother to add anythAng bout da belt bec. I know you know that stuff. & that Troubleshooting & Repairs stuuf is long and includes way too much, but as you implied, have to ck fluid level 1st; then the rest is a pia to you...
Thanks Al,

and it may be bec. the seal was driven in too far... drive in just enuf for snap ring to be placed.

I'm afraid it might be this. The darn thing wouldn't go in far enough, then suddenly it went (I'm afraid Too far) However I am hoping that the built up pressure will push it back out to the snap ring. High hopes? Just kidding myself?

Fluid:

Ford power steering is "self-bleeding" ... turn the wheel lock-to-lock several times to expel air. Check for leaks; top-off fluid

I'll try that tomorrow, and say a prayer. Wish me luck! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

was da adjusting nut moved or removed? then;

Yeah, I was wondering about that and I think I may give that a shot. Last year we tightened it a bit. It wasn't touched in this repair, but who knows... stranger things have happened. I don't have a low pressure torque wrench, so I can't set it properly, so my method will have to be a little trial and error.

OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
First thing this morning, excitedly hoping that it would self bleed, while still making coffee, I went out to the driveway. Popped the hood to once again check the fluid level, and to my surprise it was pretty much empty! Hmmm added more fluid, and started her up. I heard a little whine of the pump as I turned the wheel 5 degrees to the left, and then I couldn't turn her back to the right...!? Nor could I turn her any further to the left..!?

Naturally I shut the engine down and went out to investigate. IF not for the oil drain pan, and the cardboard still under the engine, I'd have oil all over the driveway. :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Too much to take without my first cup of coffee. :((

So here I sit, typing away... drinking my first cup of the day. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Boy... am I glad this is a hobby :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Well I got back to it. I reinstalled the seals, and THIS TIME I made sure the spring clip was fully seated!

YAHOO!!! back on the road with new steering box seals, new brakes and calipers, and brand spanking new ball joints.

She'll get an alignment as soon as my buddy's shop has an opening.

Thanks Miesk5 for helping me out with this. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Once again... life is good on this side of the Galaxy!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke