Fenderwell Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Exhaust_004.jpgThis has been a topic recently & a few guys had asked me about it. I dug thru my big box of pics and found a few of the last one I built. I've built several Broncos and a few with 460's and usually run a set of fenderwell exit headers that bring the exhaust OUT from inside the frame rails and kicked it out in front of the rear tires. Initilly I ran a set of glasspacks but eventually I wanted to hear myself think (or my lady talk but that gets old too) & got tired of being stopped by Joe Law so I ran a system that consisted of L&L stainless fenderwell exit headers (460 conversion), a short length of straightpipe, a couple of cheap Thrush turbo mufflers and then kicked it out in front of the rear tires. For anyone who's never done it you'd be amazed at how much nicer it is to work on your rig after getting the exhaust out from between the framerails. Here's what it looked like.Exhaust_003.jpg

Exhaust_002.jpg

Exhaust_001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics!!! Did you have any issues with the front tires hitting the headers? That's always been a concern for me. JSM84

OP
OP
Broncobill78

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics!!! Did you have any issues with the front tires hitting the headers? That's always been a concern for me. JSM84
Well, yes actually I did. The 35/36's were reasonably ok but I had to be carefull with the 38's. Can't remember if I posted it before but I had a girlfriend who became an Ex right there on the spot after she toasted a 2 or 3 wk old 38" after doing *exactly* what I had explicitly told her NOT to do and turned the wheel all the way to the stop & held it there until the freaking thing blew. With the 35/36's it would melt just a bit off the corner of the lugs but it really bit into the 38's. These particular photos are with 36" Denman Ground Hawgs (gee, do they still make them ? Haven't seen a set in years) but it sounded good enough with the turbos, the Cherrybombs gave me a headache after 15 or 20 min of listening to them drone and long trips were just a nightmare. I didn't have a problem with the 38's hitting the FRONT (the down-tube part of the header) but they kept hitting near the collector if you got close to lock in either direction. After awhile you just got a feel for how far you could go and if you bumped the header you could feel it in the wheel if you were paying attention and looking for it but it was a definate education in not letting someone else drive your rig, I had a lot of melted lugs on my 38's.

Now it's also worth noting that I ran L&L headers with FORD 460 motor mounts. I had a few problems with this setup and actually had to notch about 3" out of the passenger side body mount right where the collector rested and even then it would thump against it because that stupid voice we all have told me to run a big 3/4 cam. Maybe something smaller with a smoother idle (and more vacuum) would have run nicer and not knocked as much but you live & learn. With the L&L motor mounts I probably wouldn't have had any problems since I understand that their mounts place the engine a bit higher up & forward than the factory mounts.

Edit: Gosh, that makes me think. I always wondered if there was any kind of bumpstop available for a steering box or something like that. I've looked at the setup for hours and thought about it but never came up with an idea that would work well. It's such a short wheelbase that the turning radius was never really an issue even with the 38's but the only thing I ever really wanted was some way to adjust the stop-to-stop distance without going to something exotic like a custom box. Ever hear of or see anything like that ? I guess it's always easy enough to hear it when they start to rub the frame or your shocks but with the headers right there........well, you know.

And at least it has the added advantage of helping to blow some of the mud away from the truck.

mudbog_001.jpg

Billy Toppless

Reaction score
View attachment 5361This has been a topic recently & a few guys had asked me about it. I dug thru my big box of pics and found a few of the last one I built. I've built several Broncos and a few with 460's and usually run a set of fenderwell exit headers that bring the exhaust OUT from inside the frame rails and kicked it out in front of the rear tires. Initilly I ran a set of glasspacks but eventually I wanted to hear myself think (or my lady talk but that gets old too) & got tired of being stopped by Joe Law so I ran a system that consisted of L&L stainless fenderwell exit headers (460 conversion), a short length of straightpipe, a couple of cheap Thrush turbo mufflers and then kicked it out in front of the rear tires. For anyone who's never done it you'd be amazed at how much nicer it is to work on your rig after getting the exhaust out from between the framerails. Here's what it looked like.
is there anyway of tucking the pipes and mufflers up more so there unnoticeable?

or would u have to run them inside the framerails for that?

OP
OP
Broncobill78

Broncobill78

Reaction score
is there anyway of tucking the pipes and mufflers up more so there unnoticeable?or would u have to run them inside the framerails for that?
Sure you can. I had kinda hoped nobody would notice but I got lazy with this one. I don't have a good pic handy but on my 78' I ran a real short (maybe 10", I think I bought a 2ft piece and cut a chunk off for each side with a little nub left over) piece of flexpipe that I attached to the collector. That let me bend the rest of the system up and tuck it right in alongside the frame rail. For comparison, I dug even deeper into my big box of pictures and found pics of the black Bronco that I built just before the Blue Bronco. Same truck, same everything. I stripped the Black truck to build the Blue truck (much less rot as you can see in the photos). Now on the black truck you can't even SEE the exhaust (but trust me it's there) and it's the same everything. I ran this particular 460 until I unintentionally smoked it up in Maine by running 20/50 in -20* weather. Just about the only thing different between them is the fact that I DIDN'T use the flexpipe at the collector on the blue truck so the straightpipe came down at a greater angle and you can see it, which is of course why I posted it in the first place so folks could see how it was run. I had the same 460 & the same headers in the black truck but the flexpipe allowed me to tuck everything right up along the frame & under the body so it just isn't as noticable. But, $hit bubba, at 23 I WANTED people to see my stuff hanging out <grin> so I ran it that way on the blue truck. Photos of the swap were included since I had to fire up the damn scanner *anyways* to get pics of the black truck so I figured anyone who was curious could see just what the swap was about. Also, I ran glasspacks on the black truck and they're a lot less noticable than the turbos, especially when painted with black grill paint to match the primer (the primered fender was to repair a small faux pas, took a bad hop going up a hill and mowed down a good size sapling that fought back by destroying that fender, fabricated that 4" irrigation pipe bumper as a result)

BlackBronco_004.jpg

BlackBronco_001.jpg

BlackBronco_002.jpg

BlackBronco_003.jpg

D-Man

Reaction score
NorthEast, the land of salt & rusty trucks
View attachment 5361This has been a topic recently & a few guys had asked me about it. I dug thru my big box of pics and found a few of the last one I built. I've built several Broncos and a few with 460's and usually run a set of fenderwell exit headers that bring the exhaust OUT from inside the frame rails and kicked it out in front of the rear tires. Initilly I ran a set of glasspacks but eventually I wanted to hear myself think (or my lady talk but that gets old too) & got tired of being stopped by Joe Law so I ran a system that consisted of L&L stainless fenderwell exit headers (460 conversion), a short length of straightpipe, a couple of cheap Thrush turbo mufflers and then kicked it out in front of the rear tires. For anyone who's never done it you'd be amazed at how much nicer it is to work on your rig after getting the exhaust out from between the framerails. Here's what it looked like.
Wow is that cool. I've wanted a 460 for years. I have a few questions. I never heard of L$L headers, will a speed shop have them ? Since the 460 came in F-trucks can you just bolt it in with factory parts ? Are stainless headers worth the extra money ? I've seen them by other companies and the stainless ones seem like they're a lot more expensive then the regular steel ones, are they thicker or something ? Someone told me they get all blue and discolored from being so close to the engine so what's the extra money for if they don't look good for very long ? I don't know about Florida cops or the RMV there but up here you can't get through instection with exhaust that exits in front of the tires (the inspection station I asked at told me they'd fail a truck like that and it had to exit it the stock location) but if it's outside the frame then the tubes would have to run into the rear wheelwell wouldn't they ? Seems like the back tires might hit it as well but maybe it's not so hot that far back ?

deputy dog

Reaction score
Hey all,

This may not be relavent but, minus the headers I had my exhaust custom fabricated to exit in front of the rear wheels. Stock manifolds cut at the Y pipe. No cats and a single Flow Master 2 in 2 out and tips. it sounds awesome and looks too. I get alot of complimnets. Only problem is a little fumage once and a while. i think new door seals and tailgate will eliminate. Sorry for the 2 cents but I had to say something. Later!

IMGP0101.JPG

deputy dog

Reaction score
Hey all,This may not be relavent but, minus the headers I had my exhaust custom fabricated to exit in front of the rear wheels. Stock manifolds cut at the Y pipe. No cats and a single Flow Master 2 in 2 out and tips. it sounds awesome and looks too. I get alot of complimnets. Only problem is a little fumage once and a while. i think new door seals and tailgate will eliminate. Sorry for the 2 cents but I had to say something. Later!

deputy dog

Reaction score
Yo!

Sorry about that that pix is before I had the exhaust work done. Don't I feel like the idiot. Any way, i is now in front of the rear tires. NICE!

OP
OP
Broncobill78

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Wow is that cool. I've wanted a 460 for years. I have a few questions. I never heard of L$L headers, will a speed shop have them ? Since the 460 came in F-trucks can you just bolt it in with factory parts ? Are stainless headers worth the extra money ? I've seen them by other companies and the stainless ones seem like they're a lot more expensive then the regular steel ones, are they thicker or something ? Someone told me they get all blue and discolored from being so close to the engine so what's the extra money for if they don't look good for very long ? I don't know about Florida cops or the RMV there but up here you can't get through instection with exhaust that exits in front of the tires (the inspection station I asked at told me they'd fail a truck like that and it had to exit it the stock location) but if it's outside the frame then the tubes would have to run into the rear wheelwell wouldn't they ? Seems like the back tires might hit it as well but maybe it's not so hot that far back ?
Ok, here's the deal. L&L primarily makes 460 conversion kits but they also sell headers as part of their gig but they're *not* a header company. If you're looking for a set of fenderwell exit headers, which exit (as the name implies) thu the fenderwell OUTside of the frame then this is the link for you: http://www.landlproducts.com/details.aspx?...amp;ItemID=1010 They also sell chassis exit headers (INside of the frame just like every other header in the world. Dare to be different) but hey, who wants to blend in with the crowd ?

I don't know if stainless headers are worth the Xtra bux to YOU, but they were to me. I really didn't care what color the damn things turned what I was interested in was the fact that stainless doesn't rust and when I lived in New England that was an important consideration for me. You install a stainless exhaust *once* and then you forget about it for the life of the vehicle. For me that was worth the premium that the headers cost. I also really appreciated how much space that freed up inside of the framerails. Not having ANY exhaust between the rails really makes for a much nicer truck to work on whenever something needs to be done and it's hard to express JUST how much I appreciated it, but I think anyone else who's done it will second the motion.

As far as kicking out in FRONT of the rear tires goes, you're right, Mass is kinda a harda$$ about that and while I was trying to hide my shame you've done gone & asked the question so I feel compelled to answer it. For the most part I ran exactly the exhaust that I posted photos of and have described, HOWEVER, I got thru my first inspection Ok but the second time around I got flagged for having the exhaust exit somewhere OTHER than the factory location. What I was told was that with the exception of a few years of early Corvettes which had factory sidepipes ALL exhaust had to exit behind the rear tires. What the law *actually* said was that it had to exit out from beyond the body and while *I* took that to mean it couldn't terminate under the body itself (and I was OK as long as the exhaust tip extended out from under the body) the *inspection station* took that to mean it had to extend out past the rear axle and exit the body there. I argued it for a bit and actually went so far as to request a hearing with a Registry cop at a field office, but he shot me down and said it had to exit behind the rear end. At that point I was stuck, the engine & headers were in and I didn't want to change either one so I bit the bullet and had a custom exhaust fabricated from the collector on back. I had to wrap it down UNDER the frame and back inside and then shot it pretty much straight back, over the axle and then out under the rear bumper. Cost me $750 (and the dog hid under the couch for a month to avoid getting kicked). After I got my inspection sticker I took it off and reinstalled what you see in the photos and stored the custon deal for next inspection. I kept & used the same exhaust on the next 460 Bronco I built as well since everything was the same, it was a b*tch to do but it got me my sticker every year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane