tranny swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wtfdissux

Reaction score
anyone swapped the C-6 for an AOD am told by the guys at work it is bolt in ready nothing else needed (compared to the E4OD) not sure but was something about the cables being switched at the thottle body but thats about it

however the overdrive sprague is known for being problematic on these models want to hear from those that have done or know about this Idea as far as getting better mileage ( overdrive ) $-) and the overall durabillity of the unit also what trucks came with this stock so I can start finding a doner if my body problems are fixable

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
anyone swapped the C-6 for an AOD am told by the guys at work it is bolt in ready nothing else needed (compared to the E4OD) not sure but was something about the cables being switched at the thottle body but thats about ithowever the overdrive sprague is known for being problematic on these models want to hear from those that have done or know about this Idea as far as getting better mileage ( overdrive ) $-) and the overall durabillity of the unit also what trucks came with this stock so I can start finding a doner if my body problems are fixable
yo W!

Haven't seen this swap in your year range yet...but this is an rticle for 78-79 swap w/info appl to the 351W

C6 to AOD Overdrive Conversion for 78-79 Source: by Danny

AOD TV Linkage & Adjustment; AOD

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
For the cost and time to do this swap..well, maybe it would be better to spend $ on fixing what is broke, upgrading parts..etc and esp. reducing weight to save gas $?

Soon, we'll re-new efforts to reduce weight on the 96.... clearance sale (jokin') on all interior insulation, step bars, push bumper, rear seat replaced by ltwt bucket(s), etc.. may also store spare (takining chances here)

hms79

Reaction score
I understand the reason for wanting better gas mileage, but the C-6 is such a tough transmission, I would be hard pressed to want to swap it out with something else. The C-6 is easy to find and inexpensive to repair (from my experience). But it is you rig, as I always say, do with it what you want. Have fun.

2NDTOUR89

Reaction score
I considered doing the swap with my F150 about 6 years ago but sold the truck before I ended up doing it. I do have a AOD and a 1356 mated if you are interested. I will let them go for the cost of the freight and???????

OP
OP
W

wtfdissux

Reaction score
I just started working in a tranny shop as the everything but tranny guy and have the aod already so was thinking about it versus the down time while I rebuild the C-6 if I keep the C-6 which is a bulletproof case will do a shift kit high stall convertor and a few other tweeks

A am also thinking about the AOD because I drive this every day and do very little in the way of hard off roading some steep grades at my cabin and of course pulling my brothers blazer out of ditches and such but basically just a daily driver with the ability for more when needed and the gas ( now up to 9mpg )is a good reason for wanting OD but now that I work 3 miles from home not sure any more and if anyone saw my other post about the body I might scrap the whole thing and just get an older F-250 and a GULP mini van ouch that hurt for when I gotta take the wife and kids

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo