Made a Bikini

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wileec

Reaction score
Put together a bikini for the Bronco, The kids got tired of getting wet when it rained on the trails:cry, and wanted some shade. So a little thought the support bow from my softtop and $25 of vinal gave me this.

img_0526.jpg

img_0524.jpg

img_0523.jpg

What do you all think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Roadkill

Reaction score
Very cool!
NyXg9optMb.gif

I've thought of trying to make something similar for mine, but the "fast track" system on my top (no snaps) makes it a bit more dificult to figure out.

Whoa! Suddenly had a feeling of deja vou!
uIntt3rF74.gif

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
On a scale of 1 to 10, that mod has a cool factor of 11... Great job, JSM84

Roadkill

Reaction score
Not sure I want to make a business out of a hobby. More than willing to get more pics as I refine. Needs a little help on the highway. The middle part gets sucked down real bad.
Maybe all you need is a couple of lateral supports (made from aluminum or wood) between your softtop bow and the back of the cab?

Something like this:

img_0524.jpg

OP
OP
wileec

wileec

Reaction score
Roadkill, Thank you for the advice.

That is kind of the plan. I had my wife drive on the highway with me in back (that was wierd). But i discovered that if I could push the fabric up about an inch there was no pressur on it. I was thinking something to bow up where you put in the middle line. I will let you all know what comes up.

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
I think road **** is on the right track, except you could use web strap to put much more tension on the bow downward and back (much like you have now on the vinyl attached to the back) to hold the two straps that you already have on top harder. As it looks now you have all the wind weight supported from the vinyl only. A quick way to test it would be to bungee the bar hard downward/back and take her for a spin on the interstate.

topIdea.jpg

OP
OP
wileec

wileec

Reaction score
I think road **** is on the right track, except you could use web strap to put much more tension on the bow downward and back (much like you have now on the vinyl attached to the back) to hold the two straps that you already have on top harder. As it looks now you have all the wind weight supported from the vinyl only. A quick way to test it would be to bungee the bar hard downward/back and take her for a spin on the interstate.
View attachment 4985
Unfortunately the bar is not the problem as it already has straps on it that attach just inside the tailgate, they are there for the existing soft top. It is the fabric itself that is pulling in. I am working on two ideas the first maybe temp is fiberglass poles running front to back like this- (first attachment)

The second would be more like a true Boat top with the support running up to the top kinda like this- (second attachment) Just need to get something to use as a pole/bar, do not want to spend the money for aluminum, right now.

BTW congrats on your soft top find.

lateral_top.jpg

mod_top.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

buckinbronc85

Reaction score
Put together a bikini for the Bronco, The kids got tired of getting wet when it rained on the trails:cry, and wanted some shade. So a little thought the support bow from my softtop and $25 of vinal gave me this.img_0526.gif

img_0524.gifimg_0525.gif

What do you all think?

Cocobum

Reaction score
one thing you might consider is to take a look at some bimini tops for boats and possibly get some ideas from there. They also have pre made bars that can do the job your looking for, a boat salavge yard is the next best thing to an auto salvage yard ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
wileec

wileec

Reaction score
one thing you might consider is to take a look at some bimini tops for boats and possibly get some ideas from there. They also have pre made bars that can do the job your looking for, a boat salavge yard is the next best thing to an auto salvage yard ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Boat salvage yard now that IS a fantistic idea never though of it. Now where to find on in the mountains?? :wacko:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke