what size bolts in exhaust manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LANGLEY

Reaction score
I have a exhaust manifold leak with at least one bolt broke off. Trying to get parts together before I take it on. I bought a new exhaust manifold from Jeff's. Thing weights over 20 lb. How hard are the bolts to get out. I have been soaking them a couple of times a day with kroil aka red eye is what we call it at Honeywell.Just hope I do not have to drill them out.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
What engine? Most likely 3/8" bolts, 13 or coarse thread. factory aqnd aftermarket exhaust manifold bolts are heat-treated and alot stronger than normal hardware. Soaking them is a good start, and give each one a firm tap with a large hammer befoe trying to loosen them. I still broke 2 on my 460, and had to drill them out. No fun... JSM84

BlueThunder

Reaction score
What engine? Most likely 3/8" bolts, 13 or coarse thread. factory aqnd aftermarket exhaust manifold bolts are heat-treated and alot stronger than normal hardware. Soaking them is a good start, and give each one a firm tap with a large hammer befoe trying to loosen them. I still broke 2 on my 460, and had to drill them out. No fun... JSM84
In the topic description he said it was a 351m :-"

OP
OP
L

LANGLEY

Reaction score
In the topic description he said it was a 351m :-"
I broke off three 351 m . I had a right angle drill and still could not get to them to drill them out . Put it back together with a gasket sounds good now . No leaks with three bolts missing. If it starts leaking guess I will have to pull head and take to machine shop. How did you get to them to drill them out??? Their was no gasket on the one I pulled off is that the way it came from the factory???

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Duh, my bad on the engine size, I didn't see it in the post. Anyway, I had the 460 sitting on a pallet after it was pulled out of the donor F-350. Still made it hard to work on, and took 3-4 hours per bolt. I drilled a hole in the broken stud, and tried an Easy-Out and a bolt extractor to no avail. I drilled up to a 3/8" hole out of the stud, and used a special little chisel to remove the rest of the stub fragments from the galled threads. Then re-tapped the hole for a new stud. Had to do this on each head. I do think that you can possibly run stock manifolds and MAYBE headers with one or two studs missing/broken. And the factory manifolds do not use a gasket. JSM84

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar