Help with transmission diagnosis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gpherbert

Reaction score
Hi guys I've owned my 94 Bronco 351W Eddie Bauer since 2003. I use it daily and tow my race car to the drag strip. When its always done this thing where I'm driving along and all of a sudden the trans acts like its in neutral and revs suddenly. I've used the search tool and found something about a sensor that checks the gear selector position. Before doing anything else I'm going to change this piece. Came this item be bought from a parts house or is this a dealer piece? Also if its not the problem, what are some other posibbilities?

Thanks to all

Gregg Herbert

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Your 94 likely has the Ford E40D auto tranny, and the problem you may be having is with the OD (overdrive) shift sensor. IF you're towing, consider an auxillary cooler for the trans, since heat is the #1 killer of that model.

OP
OP
G

gpherbert

Reaction score
Your 94 likely has the Ford E40D auto tranny, and the problem you may be having is with the OD (overdrive) shift sensor. IF you're towing, consider an auxillary cooler for the trans, since heat is the #1 killer of that model.
thx , I'll look into it for sure. The truck was on a 300mile road trip when this occured. The sensor you talk of, is it the neutral safety switch? It's mounted on the outside of the trans with the shifting arm ? If not where is the switch located ?

thanks again

Gregg

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
No, the neutral safety switch is a separate item, located on the driver's side of the tranny. I would have a competent tranny shop check your Bronco out for any codes thrown by the shift sensors or engine. Often times, a problem with the motor will cause tranny shift problems, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

bidibronco

Reaction score
My transmission does the same thing you mentioned however it does it at a high MPH, something like 80+ so I jus don't go that fast. However, directly at 60 my tranny seems to not want to decide if it want's to be in 3rd or OD and shifts irratically back and forth. Every once in a while it acts fine but that's not often. Could this be the module you're talking about. I just rebuilt the motor and it runs like a champ now.

OP
OP
G

gpherbert

Reaction score
No, the neutral safety switch is a separate item, located on the driver's side of the tranny. I would have a competent tranny shop check your Bronco out for any codes thrown by the shift sensors or engine. Often times, a problem with the motor will cause tranny shift problems, too.

So the switch your talking of is on the passenger side? I'd really like to swap out the switch before I spent $$$ on having diagnostic work done to it first. I've also ordered a TCItranny coller for it. The engine runs like a top and it in premium working order. Can Autozone pull the codes your talking about ? I just had them pull my Excursions codes for a faulty O2sensor.

thx

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo!

Self Test & Connector Location & pics, Bronco & Ford BEST PROCESS WITH DIAGRAMS! Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at fordfuelinjection.com

Water Intrusion of Manual Lever Position/Transmission Range (MLP/TR) Sensor TSB 95-2-12 for 89-94; Some vehicles may exhibit a shift concern and/or a harsh engagement concern due to water intrusion into the MLP/TR sensor and vehicle harness. There may also be a number of different DTC's along with those concerns

Source: by Ford via miesk5 (Al M) at comcast.net

TRANSMISSION - E40D - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES - WATER INTRUSION OF THE MLP/TR SENSOR

TRANSMISSION - E40D - POSSIBLE WATER INTRUSION INTO THE MLP/TR SENSOR CAUSING SHIFT CONCERNS AND/OR HARSH ENGAGEMENT CONCERNS

TRANSMISSlON - E40D - SHIFT CONCERNS AND/OR HARSH ENGAGEMENT CONCERNS DUE TO WATER INTRUSION OF THE MLP/TR SENSOR

1989-94 BRONCO, ECONOLINE, F-150-350 SERIES, F-47, F-53, F-59

ISSUE: Some vehicles may exhibit a shift concern and/or a harsh engagement concern due to water intrusion into the MLP/TR sensor and vehicle harness. There may also be a number of different DTC's along with those concerns.

ACTION: Replace the MLP/TR sensor and vehicle harness connector if signs of water penetration are evident. Refer to the following for service details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Verify the customer concern.

2. Perform normal on-board diagnostics.

3. Inspect the MLP/TR sensor for signs of water contamination.

4. If water penetration is present and/or DTC's have been set, replace the MLP/TR sensor and the vehicle harness connector with the TR Sensor Service Kit (F5TZ-7A247-A).

The TR Service Kit contains:

One (1) TR Sensor

One (1) Connector Assembly

One (1) "Red" Pin Separator Plate

One (1) 6-Pin Grommet

One (1) 8-Pin Grommet

One (1) 7-Pin Grommet

One (1) Instruction Sheet

PART NUMBER PART NAME

F5TZ-7A247-A TR Sensor Service Kit

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage For 1992-94 Models, Basic Warranty Coverage For All Other Model Years

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME 950212A Perform Electronic 2.0 Hrs.

Transmission Diagnostics, Replace MLP/TR Sensor

DEALER CODING BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE 7F293 08

---------------

E4OD MLPS pic & Failure Causes Source: by motorcraft.com

E4OD Nagging Neutral Nonsense, Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS); Some of the problems the MLPS can cause are wrong- gear starts, TCC hunting, no 4th gear, engine stalling, high or erratic line pressure & a sudden neutral condition. Source: by transonline.com

E4OD MLPS Transmission Range (TR) Sensor Pinpoint Test, Bronco Source: by guardcows.com

Important .... The new style MLPS comes with a matching vehicle harness connector. The problem is that you have to remove the pins and their wires from the old vehicle harness connector. What ever you do don't pull all the pins out at the same time because you will never figure out were they go. Easiest thing to do is remove one pin at a time and re-install it into the new connector.

Interchange Will fit all past models.

Part Numbers

MLPS (includes harness connector) F5AZ-7A247-A

Last edited by a moderator:

mbtech2003

Reaction score
my 95 allready has a aux trans cooler from factory. your 94 should too. but maybe its because mine has the factory towing option not sure :wacko:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar