Check Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94broncobeast

Reaction score
I was drivin down the street during a hellatious rain storm the other day, and I hit this huge bog of water that slowed me from about 40 to 10, luckily the 33's tracked true and kept me in my lane. But after that the check engine light came on, and now it flashes on and off periodically, so I ran the code and it gave me 538 for the OBD-I code.

Does anyone know what this means?

I am really worried, any help would be appreciated.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo!

Code 538 - Insufficient RPM change during dynamic response test. This is another code generated when the dynamic response or "goose" test as some refer to it is not performed during the KOER test. The KOER test requires that after a certain length of time the throttle be opened to bring the idle above 2000 rpm for a short period of time. If the dynamic response test is not performed or the rpm's do not peak ABOVE 2000 rpm's this code will be generated. (Computer needs to compare changes in sensor readings at different RPM's to determine system operation and efficiency).

thanks to Joel for his assistance!

btw, This "goose" test is part of detailed pin-point test that is not discussed in most on-line Code testing articles, but is in factory manuals, etc.

you can always clear memory

OP
OP
94broncobeast

94broncobeast

Reaction score
yo!Code 538 - Insufficient RPM change during dynamic response test. This is another code generated when the dynamic response or "goose" test as some refer to it is not performed during the KOER test. The KOER test requires that after a certain length of time the throttle be opened to bring the idle above 2000 rpm for a short period of time. If the dynamic response test is not performed or the rpm's do not peak ABOVE 2000 rpm's this code will be generated. (Computer needs to compare changes in sensor readings at different RPM's to determine system operation and efficiency).

thanks to Joel for his assistance!

btw, This "goose" test is part of detailed pin-point test that is not discussed in most on-line Code testing articles, but is in factory manuals, etc.

you can always clear memory
Thanks that sounds like exactly whats wrong, but how would I fix this??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke