Converting to Saginaw PS pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seabronc

Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to completing my Saginaw PS pump conversion. I'm having a problem finding a PS hose that has the Saginaw fitting on one end and the Ford steering box fitting on the other end. I have read some place that a E250 hose is a drop in. If that is true, does anyone know what year E250 that would be? I can fabricate the mounting bracket using the original one and welding on a piece of the old F250 bracket that I got with it.

I tried my local friendly auto parts store, but try though he may, he couldn't come up with a hose that would fit the requirement. I actually have the hose from the Saginaw but it is too long and it doesn't have the fitting on the steering box end that will fit mine. The pump end has a L shaped end and the other end can be a strait connection.

:)>-

Spelled Saginaw correctly :-" Added pictures of hose ends I need.

Saginaw_003.jpg

Saginaw_004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
Do you have a Caterpillar shop nearby, Or a farm equipment dealer, either one should be able to make the hose you need for a nominal fee. If they dont have the fitting to make the hose I'll bet you a 12pk they have the adapter to get it done :rolleyes: :rolleyes: As for the van, I cant be of any help..

OP
OP
Seabronc

Seabronc

Reaction score
Good suggestion Mike. I hadn't thought of them, I'm still holding out hope for the E250 year. The pump I have came from a 78 F250 and the end is larger than the fitting on my steering box. I assume that the steering box on a 78 F250 is bigger then mine since it probably had the Dana 60 axle in it.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Mark used Hose Gates- 359470

or a 80's E-series van with the Saginaw; saw someone here and he said he used the hose from a 92 van

gl!

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/prt,64,359470

GATES Part # 359470 {Pressure Line Assembly 5/16" Male Inverted Flare x 16mm Male O-Ring x 30 7/16"}

Category: Power Steering Pressure Line Hose Assembly $14.94

boss

Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to completing my Saginaw PS pump conversion. I'm having a problem finding a PS hose that has the Saginaw fitting on one end and the Ford steering box fitting on the other end. I have read some place that a E250 hose is a drop in. If that is true, does anyone know what year E250 that would be? I can fabricate the mounting bracket using the original one and welding on a piece of the old F250 bracket that I got with it.
I tried my local friendly auto parts store, but try though he may, he couldn't come up with a hose that would fit the requirement. I actually have the hose from the Saginaw but it is too long and it doesn't have the fitting on the steering box end that will fit mine. The pump end has a L shaped end and the other end can be a strait connection.

Spelled Saginaw correctly :-" Added pictures of hose ends I need.
The steering box end is all the same no matter what the year, so all you need is a hose from the same make and year as the sag came off of.

OP
OP
Seabronc

Seabronc

Reaction score
The steering box end is all the same no matter what the year, so all you need is a hose from the same make and year as the sag came off of.
I wish that were true, but the hose that was with it and the pump came off a 78 F250 and the gear box end fitting is larger and a different style than the one on my gear box. I believe that the difference is in the D44 (Bronco) and D60 (F250). Also the Bronco stock pump is a Ford design (or designed for Ford), the Saginaw pump is used on some of E-series vans during the 80's and 90's. I'll may have it custom made, (easier said, than to find someone to do it :unsure: ).

Either I'll go with a stock E-series hose or have the gear box end of hose I have changed, (again if I can find some one who makes the hoses and has the correct part to do it with). My local friendly auto parts store makes hydraulic hoses, but doesn't have the fitting that will fit my gear box :(( .

When I get what I'm looking for I'll update the post and then probably do a mini write up on it. Of all the luck, we have the blizzard of "07" right after I disable my truck by removing the noisy Ford PS pump :blink: .

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo!

another source;

Ford Truck, Pressure Power Steering Hose

Powercraft 71202 $19.48

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail....=18&ptset=A

NAPA. O Reilly's, Adv Auto, etc.

pwr-71202.jpg

more info here

OP
OP
Seabronc

Seabronc

Reaction score
Well, I finally got the conversion completed. actually it has been done for a couple of weeks, but I wanted to wait while I evaluated it before updating this thread. I learned a couple of things along the way;

1. It doesn't seem that anyone has done this conversion on a V-belt engine, at least I couldn't find a write up on it :ph34r: . All the writeups I could find were done on Serpentine belt systems and I am unwilling to go that far in converting, so I had to come up with my own method, also I suspect that the bracket I used may be a little harder to find than the one for a Serpentine system. I will try to do a half way descent write up soon, I took a lot of pictures, the final installation picture attached, take a :-B .

2. The hose problem I initially had, finding one that matched my fittings, was due to the fact that the Saginaw pump can have two styles of High pressure connections. One with a double flare seat and one that takes an O-ring fitting (Powercraft 71202) :rolleyes: .

3. If you get a junk yard pump, buy a rebuild kit, you never know what the internal condition really is and rebuilding with the exception of replacing the shaft bushing is a breeze :D/ .

4. Yes, the shaft bushing :-" . I read all the writeups by people who had rebuilt the Saginaw PS pump I could find and they all avoided any comment on the bushing except to say, "well the bushing is OK so I didn't need to replace it". Personally, I believe they were avoiding the truth. It is a testament to the Saginaw design that it can run just fine with a lot of internal damage. One of the pumps I rebuilt had a chewed up bushing and seriously scored rotor from metal pieces running around inside the pump.

Any way, back to replacing the shaft bushing. To do this, you need the availability of a hydraulic press, fortunately I maintain a good relationship with a professional mechanic and could use his. To press the old one out, you need a 15 MM impact deep socket or a 16 MM standard deep socket, they fit perfectly inside the bushing seat without binding and the job is a breeze with the right tool :D .

5. The bottom line is I am ecstatic with the result. It doesn't wine, squeak, etc. and the steering is a breeze. I finally don't feel self-conscious about the noise coming out of the engine compartment with everyone staring at my truck wondering when it is going to fall apart @-) .

Sag_installed.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke