A few upgrades, nice improvement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uscdiver

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a '94 5.8L and just finished swapping out the muffler for a FlowMaster, and the intake for a K&N Intake charger kit. Very nice difference in performance. I picked up some HP (K&N rates the intake at about 10hp gain), and the throttle response is excellent. She used to lag when I put on the gas, but now she just goes! I noticed a very big difference on the top end - freeway passing is now easy (no lag). I spent about $220 (tax and install) on the muffler, and $240 on the K&N kit (installed it myself in about an hour).

Just thought I'd share. Take it easy. Diver

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Did you do the install yourself? Maybe post a write-up of the install in the Tech Articles forum. Post a few pics if you have them, too. Both of those a good mods and often asked about, JSM84

wtfdissux

Reaction score
gonna try and get digi cam working when I do mine am going to use a magna flow perfomance full flow cat($225) and the dual cat back set from LMC(also about $225) it has no mufflers just a pair of resonator tips along with the summit racing truck headers($150!!) should make quite a difference

SoFlaSwamper

Reaction score
I did an intake/exhaust swap on my 88 150 and i didn't feel all that much but i do have 44s and 4.56s...it would take a lot i guess for me to feel horsepower. i bet your truck sure sounds alot better though!!! congrats man

i just put a new intake on my tow rig (06 6.0 diesel 350) and with teh chip and exhaust already in place, the ability for that thing to breathe just woke it up!!! when that turbo spools now, it just spins them tires till i feather the gas!!!

wtfdissux

Reaction score
thats why I want a desiel better torque better mileage and drop in a six gun setup and BAM instant improvement not to mention that ya gotta like twin 8 inch stacks like my buddy has

broncobob58

Reaction score
thats why I want a desiel better torque better mileage and drop in a six gun setup and BAM instant improvement not to mention that ya gotta like twin 8 inch stacks like my buddy has
If you want to see some stacks on a Ford and some really built powerstroke diesels you should check out connecticut powerstroke diesel website.I'm a member and one of only two broncos in the club(non diesel).As the name says it is mostly diesel but there are a couple guys there that are non diesel.Really just a Ford truck club.There used to be a picture of my bronco in there but now I think it's just another members' bronco shown.His is the lifted black 96.

keeprollling

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a '94 5.8L and just finished swapping out the muffler for a FlowMaster, and the intake for a K&N Intake charger kit. Very nice difference in performance. I picked up some HP (K&N rates the intake at about 10hp gain), and the throttle response is excellent. She used to lag when I put on the gas, but now she just goes! I noticed a very big difference on the top end - freeway passing is now easy (no lag). I spent about $220 (tax and install) on the muffler, and $240 on the K&N kit (installed it myself in about an hour).

Just thought I'd share. Take it easy. Diver
Do you have a single exhuast setup? When I installed my flowmaster I was only charged 160, 220 seems a little steep for it installed.

stusainte

Reaction score
Hey I was thinking of putting on the k&n filter kit on my 95 5.0 do you know if you need the factory air filter box or can you just run the tubes and filter cone?

Roadkill

Reaction score
Hey I was thinking of putting on the k&n filter kit on my 95 5.0 do you know if you need the factory air filter box or can you just run the tubes and filter cone?
Don't need the box. In fact, you need to remove the box to make room. Here is a photo of mine:

P3060003.JPG

Edit:

Mine is a 351W (5.8L) but the intake is the same as your 5.0 (same part# from K&N). The kit in mine is K&N Part# 57-2510-1

Last edited by a moderator:

keeprollling

Reaction score
Don't need the box. In fact, you need to remove the box to make room. Here is a photo of mine:View attachment 4587

Edit:

Mine is a 351W (5.8L) but the intake is the same as your 5.0 (same part# from K&N). The kit in mine is K&N Part# 57-2510-1

Did you have to buy the kit that they sell or just the cone? I found S&B sells a similar one as K&N for the 92 Bronco. They also sell the element alone with out the bracket. Does anyone know if that bracket is neccesary? or will the tubes hold it up?

Roadkill

Reaction score
Did you have to buy the kit that they sell or just the cone? I found S&B sells a similar one as K&N for the 92 Bronco. They also sell the element alone with out the bracket. Does anyone know if that bracket is neccesary? or will the tubes hold it up?
The tubes alone would be too weak and let the filter flop around. You would also need a way to relocate the inlet air temp sensor and adapt the round filter to the square ****** on the mass air housing . The "kit" that I bought consisted of 3 brackets, an adapter plate, and the filter. The brackets would have been very easy to fab up with stuff laying around in the shed. The adapter plate (for connecting the actual filter to the mass air sensor housing) would have been a bit more difficult but not impossible. These are the best pictures I have, but I think you will get the idea.

Two brackets to mount the filter to the inner fender and the back of the washer-fluid/overflow reservoir:

Brackets.jpg

Adapter plate between filter and mass air housing:

Mass_Air.jpg

Relocating bracket for inlet air temperature sensor:

Temp_sensor.jpg

Nothing too complicated; with some ingenuity and basic tools, it would be a pretty easy to fab up the stuff you need. The kit costs a few bucks, but eliminates all the guess work and test fitting. (And looks good, too :)>- )

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke